Possibly a very stupid question

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got a kitten yesterday, who is super outgoing and wanted no part of being locked in the room we had for him. We also adopted his brother so they are together, however we adopted his brother a week ago and just picked him up yesterday. Since he seemed so outgoing and brave we let him have the run of the whole basement, not just his room. By the end of the day he had the run of our whole house (4000 sq ft), had met our dog and our tabby cat with zero issues from anyone. We locked the boys up in their room overnight, they both used the box, no issues….so out they came this morning.
My daughter just text to tell me that our newest kitten had peed on the dog bed (which is on the main level). She said it wasn’t much but still.

Do you think this could be because he’s still unsure and maybe nervous to go down to the box alone? I know when I started letting his brother upstairs I took him down to his box every few hours. I’m at work today so obviously I can’t do that. I’ve told my girls to just put them back in their room for the rest of the day today as maybe he’s still too uncertain to have the whole run of the house. Both are 13 weeks old. Neither are neutered yet, both are vaccinated and dewormed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even with adult cats, it is recommended to have at least one litter box on each floor. That combined with the kitten's age and his newness to your house, he probably couldn't hold it long enough to figure out where to go. If he is doing well otherwise, just set up a box on each floor and show all the cats where they are.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone, I don’t think it’s a serious problem. When they are that little, sometimes they don’t have perfect bladder control, they aren’t perfectly good at recalling where the box is in time. One of my kittens that age peed on the bathroom rug. It was a one time thing, never happened again. I made it a habit to carry the kittens to the litter box after every meal, it seemed to help with training them in this matter.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with every one else. Put a litter box on every floor. Would you want to run down to the basement every time you had to pee?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All good! We put them in their safe room for two more days to let him get acclimated….and since then, no other issues at all.