Possible UTI, anything I can do to help her now?

lianaspoken

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning my cat daisy, about 11 years old but very healthy, peed in the tub this morning and  it looked like there may have been a little blood in it. I dont have the money to take her to an emergency animal hospital and my vet can't get me in for about 2 days. She doesnt seem to be in any pain but this is not characteristic of her at all.

Is there anything over the counter I can give her until the vet visit? Or is this not a possible UTI at all and I need to take her in immediately?

Just need some guidance here.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the vet and explain this is an emergency and she needs to be seen right away. If the vet refuses tell him/her you will be going to another practice and find another vet in your town and again explain this is an emergency and she needs to be seen right away. UtI's are super dangerous and it is on condition where you cannot wait to see the vet. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call the vet and explain this is an emergency and she needs to be seen right away. If the vet refuses tell him/her you will be going to another practice and find another vet in your town and again explain this is an emergency and she needs to be seen right away. UtI's are super dangerous and it is on condition where you cannot wait to see the vet. 
:yeah:
By the way, peeing in the tub is a sign of pain. :vibes: for your girl :vibes:
Oh, one more thing! If a vet, or an e-vet tries to give you Metacam, or Meloxicam for the pain, REFUSE IT. Get buprenex instead. Metacam/Meloxicam is not approved by the FDA for this type of use, yet vets love to give it for utis. It can give renal failure. Never, ever allow Metacam to be used on your cats.
More vibes! :vibes:

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep calling vets in the am-as they open, and state you need to be scene ASAP as cat is in pain.  I would not go back to your vet as any vet that would not slot her in today or even tomorrow is not worth using. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lianaspoken

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the great advice. I was able to take her to another vet last night and she will be ok, the vet started her on medication for now and she should have the test results back soon just in case it could be anything else, but she does believe it is a UTI also.

My poor baby 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you were able to get her in!!!  I had issue with a boy(they will block very easy) and vet wanted me to wait.  I said no I will be there to pick up his papers/previous blood work/urine results.  Either see him or I am going somewhere else.  She saw him and gave him some clavamox and I never went back.  He had issues for a few years on/off and they went away on own.  He is a medical mystery as he was very sick at a few days old and looked like he was dying but made it and then started with urinary issues at just a few months old.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad you found a vet with a brain! I hope you switch vets, it was super irresponsible to refuse to see a cat with a UTI!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet always finds a way to squeeze my cats in if it's urgent. Even if they don't have any appointments left, they will ask me to drop off the sick kitty and see her or him between appointments.

lianaspoken

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to really like my vet, he was fantastic. However, he retired and the woman who took over his practice just wasn't as great. But I have officially switched vets to one across town that a co-worker recommended. She even gave my other kitties free exams because I told her about my problems at the other place.

One thing I never asked which I probably should have. But was it anything I was doing that gave her the UTI or is it just one of those random things. I don't think that I did anything different in the time leading up. But I would hope its not something I did.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What did the urinalysis results show? Just FYI, a UTI is generally a Urinary Tract Infection where bacteria are present and antibiotics are used. Most cases of urinary issues in cats are not infections. The more general term is FLUTD for Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease and encompasses urinary issues that may involve infection, crystals/stones, general sterile bladder inflammation, etc.

There are things you can do to help prevent a recurrence of FLUTD. Feeding a species-appropriate diet of wet meaty food (no grains, starches, fruits, vegetables) is a start. Reducing stress (which can be a factor for a lot of FLUTD kitties) may also help.

A great site written by a vet on feline nutrition and some of the related health issues is www.catinfo.org.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to really like my vet, he was fantastic. However, he retired and the woman who took over his practice just wasn't as great. But I have officially switched vets to one across town that a co-worker recommended. She even gave my other kitties free exams because I told her about my problems at the other place.

One thing I never asked which I probably should have. But was it anything I was doing that gave her the UTI or is it just one of those random things. I don't think that I did anything different in the time leading up. But I would hope its not something I did.
The best preventative is feed an all wet or raw diet and try to avoid fish flavours www.catinfo.org is written by a vet who is an expert on feline nutrition. Here is what she writes about UTIs (http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth). A cat fountain is also helpful to get them to drink more, mine love the cat-it one. Stress can also play a role as well and there is a spirit essence for UR problems to help with stress (http://store.jacksongalaxy.com/UR-Fine-p/ur-fine.htm).

lianaspoken

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Daisy is doing great she said that all of her other tests were normal and the medication has done its job.

And she may have been stressed because my brother moved in with me for a few weeks and they may have done it, even though he is hardly there. She is also on an all wet food diet and she only drinks out of my cups so I have put a few more around the house to make sure she drinks enough.

She has never had any other health problems so of course it scared me when she started to not feel well.