Possible Toxoplasmosis - indoor cat

Kazbo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back with an update on my 5yo male. We went to the vets yesterday and they believe he has a neurological disorder due to the following symptoms:

- Horner's Syndrome (pupils are different sizes and the third eyelid is protruding on the affected eye)
- Loss of coordination (wobbly walk, unstable on his back legs when he jumps/lands)
- Hoarse voice/meow (sounds very raspy)

Prior to yesterday's visit we had brought him in 2 weeks ago when he was super lethargic, not eating or drinking and first day of the third eyelid showing. I brought him in that day and he had a fever of 105! The doctor assumed it was some sort of infection, gave him a Convenia shot (antibiotic that lasts 2 weeks), some fluids and anti-inflammation shot. We had blood, urine and xrays done. Next day the vet said the blood test showed signs of infection due to WBC count, but it was not clear what it was since we didn't test for anything specific. In the days after his visit he had a stuffy/runny nose, sneezing, coughing that started to get better as the week went on. Then on the Thursday before this week's visit, he wasn't eating much and sleeping a lot more. For 2-3 days he barely touched his food but we assumed it was due to his nose being congested - when I would spoon feed him or leave treats near him, he'd gobble it up. We also figured he was just extra tired due to recovering.

Now we are being told he likely has some inflammation in the brain causing these new neurological symptoms. They suspect (and hope) it's due to a bacterial infection like Toxoplasmosis which can cause a lot of these symptoms and gave us a new course of antibiotics (Clindamycin) for 30 days. IF it's due to an infection, then this is supposed to clear it up and he should start improving in a few weeks. However, they stressed that without further (expensive) testing, it's possible it could be something else like a tumor or *god-forbid* FIP ): -- I've been driving myself nuts trying to figure out 1- HOW he could have even gotten Toxo if that's what he has (he's strictly indoors, no other pets and I've never seen a mouse here but yes to roaches and other bugs, he likes to play with them) and 2- what if it's not Toxo and my poor boy is suffering from something more serious that will only get worse while we wait it out ): I'm a wreck

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Diagnosis
Toxoplasmosis is usually diagnosed based on a cat’s history, signs of illness, and laboratory test results. Measurement of two types of antibodies to T. gondii in the blood, IgG and IgM, can help diagnose toxoplasmosis. High levels of IgG antibodies to T. gondii in a healthy cat suggest that the cat has been previously infected and is most likely immune to the organism and not excreting oocysts. These cats are no longer sources of infection for other hosts. High IgM antibody levels, in contrast, suggest an active infection. The absence of any T. gondii antibodies in a healthy cat suggests that the cat is susceptible to infection and would shed oocysts for up to two weeks following infection.

The detection of oocysts in the feces is not a reliable method of diagnosis because they look similar to those of some other parasites. Additionally, cats can also shed oocysts for only a short period of time and often are not shedding oocysts when they are showing signs of disease. A definitive diagnosis requires microscopic examination of tissue samples for distinctive changes to the tissues and the presence of tachyzoites.

Treatment
Treatment usually involves a course of an antibiotic called clindamycin, either alone or in combination with corticosteroids if there is significant inflammation of the eyes or central nervous system. Treatment should ideally be started immediately after diagnosis and continued for several days after signs have disappeared. In acute illness, treatment is often started on the basis of high initial IgM antibody levels. If clinical improvement is not seen within two to three days, the diagnosis of toxoplasmosis may be questioned/

This is from Cornell University Feline Health Center. It mentions an antibody test, IgM, and also the fact that a cat who has been given Clindamycin should improve quickly, like in 2 or 3 day, although you would continue the meds. It might give you a very broad outline of what to expect as you try to rule in or rule out toxoplasmosis.

Toxoplasmosis in Cats

I suppose that while this might be a long shot, if the cat played with or ate a cockroach that had encountered feces outside that were from an infected animal that it might be transmissible. If it is not toxo, I do think that you are looking at some other tests to try to figure this out. Very hard on you and your cat when there is so much uncertainty with what is going on.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. KInd of along the lines of what fionasmom fionasmom , just posted as I was posting. The only things I can offer is 1.) to ask if your vet ran a PCR test to look for toxoplasmosis - I was not under the impression that this specific testing was expensive, but perhaps I am mistaken. And. 2.) you may have unwittingly given contaminated and/or undercooked meats/fish to your cat - and if you ate some you could have contracted toxo yourself. However, most humans who are otherwise healthy don't generally get sick, but humans and cats alike are more likely to if there are other health issues involved, particularly immuno-suppressed related ones.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back with an update on my 5yo male. We went to the vets yesterday and they believe he has a neurological disorder due to the following symptoms:

- Horner's Syndrome (pupils are different sizes and the third eyelid is protruding on the affected eye)
- Loss of coordination (wobbly walk, unstable on his back legs when he jumps/lands)
- Hoarse voice/meow (sounds very raspy)

Prior to yesterday's visit we had brought him in 2 weeks ago when he was super lethargic, not eating or drinking and first day of the third eyelid showing. I brought him in that day and he had a fever of 105! The doctor assumed it was some sort of infection, gave him a Convenia shot (antibiotic that lasts 2 weeks), some fluids and anti-inflammation shot. We had blood, urine and xrays done. Next day the vet said the blood test showed signs of infection due to WBC count, but it was not clear what it was since we didn't test for anything specific. In the days after his visit he had a stuffy/runny nose, sneezing, coughing that started to get better as the week went on. Then on the Thursday before this week's visit, he wasn't eating much and sleeping a lot more. For 2-3 days he barely touched his food but we assumed it was due to his nose being congested - when I would spoon feed him or leave treats near him, he'd gobble it up. We also figured he was just extra tired due to recovering.

Now we are being told he likely has some inflammation in the brain causing these new neurological symptoms. They suspect (and hope) it's due to a bacterial infection like Toxoplasmosis which can cause a lot of these symptoms and gave us a new course of antibiotics (Clindamycin) for 30 days. IF it's due to an infection, then this is supposed to clear it up and he should start improving in a few weeks. However, they stressed that without further (expensive) testing, it's possible it could be something else like a tumor or *god-forbid* FIP ): -- I've been driving myself nuts trying to figure out 1- HOW he could have even gotten Toxo if that's what he has (he's strictly indoors, no other pets and I've never seen a mouse here but yes to roaches and other bugs, he likes to play with them) and 2- what if it's not Toxo and my poor boy is suffering from something more serious that will only get worse while we wait it out ): I'm a wreck
This pertains to toxo in humans but if it is read carefully, it can give you some valuable info about symptoms and causes across the board: Toxoplasmosis in Pregnancy | Healthline
Most important is to keep cats indoors, do not feed them raw meat, and keep their litter and litter boxes clean. These are just common sense.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went to the vets yesterday and they believe he has a neurological disorder due to the following symptoms:
That doesn't sound right to me...basing a neurological disorder on symptoms alone. It sounds to me like you need a different vet. Throwing more meds at him when they haven't even tested him for Toxoplasmosis just doesn't seem logical. He might just be having a reaction to the Convenia or the anti-inflamation shot. Convenia is bad news and an anti-inflammatory shot, depending on what it is, can suppress the immune system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kazbo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on my boy - Bo. Now I’m leaning more towards an ear infection. Good news is, his condition has improved since I last posted. His voice is coming back, his energy levels are returning to normal, still eating, drinking, using the box every day.

He’s not as wobbly as before and he is only off balance whenever he shakes his head - he will stumble a bit. But he has been shaking his head and scratching at his ears a lot more than normal. Today I noticed what looked like wax fly off when he was scratching at his right ear. Managed to take the attached photos - could it be mites? Or maybe just wax build up? I’m not sure if the vets checked his ears the last time, I would hope they did since ear issues could explain the Horner’s Syndrome instead of jumping to neurological disorders.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure about any mites - wax build up maybe. But if he were to have an ear infection and is not being treated for it I don't know how he could be improving. Can you at least call the vet and ask if they checked his ears? Maybe send a pic to them to see if they have any comments?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on my boy - Bo. Now I’m leaning more towards an ear infection. Good news is, his condition has improved since I last posted. His voice is coming back, his energy levels are returning to normal, still eating, drinking, using the box every day.

He’s not as wobbly as before and he is only off balance whenever he shakes his head - he will stumble a bit. But he has been shaking his head and scratching at his ears a lot more than normal. Today I noticed what looked like wax fly off when he was scratching at his right ear. Managed to take the attached photos - could it be mites? Or maybe just wax build up? I’m not sure if the vets checked his ears the last time, I would hope they did since ear issues could explain the Horner’s Syndrome instead of jumping to neurological disorders.
Agree 100% with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner -- I would not want to take chances or non-professional guesses regarding my cat. Vet, please.