Possible stray outside, what do I do?

Jean Howard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Western New York, and currently we are in the middle of winter. Last night when I was outside I heard a pretty loud meow, so I knew it couldn't be my cats. I heard another few today, and I was wondering what to do?

I've never taken care of a stray or feral cat in my life, and frankly I'm a little bit panicked. I don't have access to traps, nor the knowledge to know exactly what to do.

The last thing I want is to have a cat freeze to death out here, and I've left out a full of food and water next to our trailer that they could use for shelter. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do, and I could really really use some help.
0226211430.jpg
0226211430a.jpg 0226211430b.jpg

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jean Howard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The cat may be adapted to the cold up to a point but being in LA, I certainly don't know if this cat is in danger or is capable of surviving. If you determine it is a stray and it seems friendly, it would be best to try to get it into a small room, like a bathroom, and go from there. If it is feral, follow the advice about supporting ferals in very cold areas and contact the rescues for more advice, the possibility of trapping, etc.

Jean Howard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Small update, I got back home tonight and saw the cat! Only a flash as they ran off from the car, but they were black and white. Dad says they're a community cat and he's seen them around before, and Ill have to ask if he knows if they're fixed. Do I keep leaving out food, or just let them be until I get more info? (Dad says we cant adopt them)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do I keep leaving out food,
It depends. If the weather is gnarly-bad, extra food will be much appreciated and needed - just be aware that you may have other critters come to dine as well. You may want to check with your Dad and see how he feels about you leaving food out.

Jean Howard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It depends. If the weather is gnarly-bad, extra food will be much appreciated and needed - just be aware that you may have other critters come to dine as well. You may want to check with your Dad and see how he feels about you leaving food out.
Will do!! I do worry, but I think it would be good to double check. Hopefully as the weather calms down, they wont need much help.