Possible pyometra?

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone has dealt with pyometra in their queens or has any useful advice for me. I've never dealt with it before but this pregnancy has progressed weirdly and it has me concerned that it's not a pregnancy at all.

So here's the low down. My queen started her first heat at eight months. By 11 months she was in a continuous heat cycle that wouldn't end. I bred her a couple days after her first birthday from November 20 to 26. Four weeks later she'd gone from 7 pounds to ten pounds and is eating triple the amount. Another two weeks and she's now 14 pounds and looks heavily pregnant. We got an x-ray done a few days ago at the 40 to 47 day mark depending on the day she conceived. There are no skeletons visible but there are some spots that look like they might be developing skeletons. He uturine horns are massive, both larger then the size of a fist. Theirs still around two and a half weeks to go before she's due.

What concerns me is how much weight she's gained early on in the pregnancy and the size of her uterine horns six weeks in.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
In the humane society we recently had a cat who had pyometra. Her belly kept getting larger and larger, she was drinking a lot of water, and was increasingly getting feisty. You could not touch her belly. 

She also started to hide a bit. Did not want to be touched.. we knew something was wrong.. 

We took her to the vet. They did an x-ray which showed an empty uterus. She was scheduled for surgery right after the week-end. 

We were cautioned to watch her closely for signs of pain/ruptured uterus, and if any questions to bring her right to the ER vet. 

Unfortunately that did happen. She underwent an emergency spaying. All is well.. she is fine now, sweet, and adopted into her forever home...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pyometra is always a worry with intact cats. It turns out I was worrying over nothing though. I found an emergency vet a city over with an ultrasound machine and it turns out she's right on schedule but has a massive amount of Kittens which caused her to start to show sooner then normal. She had me worried though.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am happy that she is okay. I have dealt with pyometra twice. Both girls ended up being spayed. The last one we were going to treat since it was an open pyo, but then it closed. My vet was not comfortable in treating a closed pyo. I had the cats daughter to use in my program anyway so I decided spay her.  a little advice, if she has so many kittens, prepare to supplement them . She may not be able to feed them all. Good luck!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad it is not pyometra... thank goodness for that.. 

Yes, be prepared to help supplement feedings and care for the babies...

Good Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely going to be supplementing. Hopefully my girl will keep her cool and do what she needs to do with a little help from me. First litters are hard though, so I'm prepared to step in if need be. I'm glad it's not pyro too.