Possible pregnant ragdoll

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mumjoe267

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There were no dead kittens, all alive, also a fairly large litter apparently. She is eating as I type and her appetite is the same. I am so nervous and I feel horrible for her. She will certainly be spayed after this whatever the outcome it’s horrible for her and scary for me x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to relax. My cat had discharge on and off for a good week or more before she delivered 4 healthy kittens. Did the vet say how many she is carrying?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I note you said you bred her again at the start of March. Which days precisely and which day did you start counting?

Mumjoe267

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply.
oh really do it doesn’t necessarily mean bad news?
She is ok this morning, is dry and clean down below and no more discharge.
she slept under my bed last night and didn’t hear a peep out of her.
She was mated on 10th March and then the two days following - I was told to count from first day of mating when working out her due date? X

Mumjoe267

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet couldn’t give me an accurate number, she said there was a fair few in there all with beating hearts, said it was tricky as they were moving about all over the place. However if she saw the hearts beating could she count how many hearts she saw? When Daisy had her scan when she was about 30 days a long I was told there is at least five x

Mumjoe267

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try to relax. My cat had discharge on and off for a good week or more before she delivered 4 healthy kittens. Did the vet say how many she is carrying?
What colour was the discharge? Daisy’s was a brownish colour. And it was around her backend. Like I say not a hint of it now. And there hasn’t been for over 12 hours now. I am staying with her though, just to keep an eye on her x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’re correct in your counting. She needs another week. It sounds like she’s doing well so far!

Mumjoe267

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You’re correct in your counting. She needs another week. It sounds like she’s doing well so far!
Thank you. And thank you for taking the time to reply. I hope I will have lovely kitten pics to show soon xx

Mumjoe267

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she has successfully held onto the kittens for another week I am relieved to say. For cat pregnancy, do we count 63 or 65 days? I thought it was63 days but the breeder of the dad cat says 65 so I am not sure x she is quite big now x

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad she made it. She’s in safe territory now! Extra days allow the kittens to put on more weight.

Mumjoe267

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all - my cat had her babies today. A nice day but also a sad one. She had four kittens - only two have made it. The two she has are beautiful and good weights. She was clearly going into labour when I got up this morning as she had had a show, I was working from home and she was very vocal, panting etc. She ran into my son’s room upstairs and as that’s where she wanted to be I left her. She hid under my son’s bedroom cabinet and had the first kitten there, which looked to me just perfect, it was alive, she cleaned it up etc. At this time I got worried that she would crush it or suffocate it as the area under my sons cabinet is so small so I tried to move her and the baby gently, she didn’t want to move and seemed unhappy about the idea so I left it. Anyway I checked on her maybe ten mins later and the kitten was fine - made myself a cup of tea, went back up, realised that the kitten I had just seen wasn’t the first born one and that the first born one was behind my cat, and cold :( but alive. I quickly phoned the breeder I know, she gave me good advice, I warmed the kitten up, rubbed it, for a good 20 mins or more but it passed away. I am beating myself up, I don’t know if I did something to cause it, should I have intervened more, was it because it got suffocated under the cabinet, I don’t know, totally broke my heart today tbh. So she had the second born kitten, and then a third kitten, both are ok, feeding, squeaking, she’s caring for them. She was settled, I thought she was done but I lifted her tail up and there was a fourth kitten under there, dead, and tbh, it didn’t look very well formed. :( it was the shape and size of the other kittens but it didn’t have defined facial features, I could see definition where its eyes/nose etc would be but they seemed to be missing. The kitten was bright white, and just floppy, like jelly. I am not sure what happened? I mean obviously some problem in utero but it was the same size as the other kittens it just hadn’t formed properly? So anyway she has two lovely babies, she seems to be doing a good job, but I just feel so sad and guilty that something I have done could have caused her to lose the kittens she did, especially the first born kitten as it was very much alive when it came into the world but didn’t last much longer than an hour. :( Thanks for reading, if you’ve got this far! X the pic of the kitten on its own is the little one which didn’t make it and the second pic is of the two who have. I didn’t photograph the one which seemed malformed :(

Attachments

Lam_ashley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear this. I think my cat is pregnant and I’m trying to figure out what I need to do myself.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so sorry; however, do not beat yourself up. There is nothing you could have done differently to save those two. One of the two clearly had genetic birth defects; and it is quite possible the other one was set aside by mom because she sensed something wrong. Mother cats have an innate sense for these things. I’ve seen it time and again, and in nature, it is survival of the fittest.

Your cat has two lovely healthy babies! Have you weighed them yet? Are they nursing well? How is mom doing now?

Mumjoe267

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry it’s taken me ages to get back on here. The kittens are thriving, they are nearly two weeks. I haven’t been weighing them as I don’t have scales but I can see they are doing really well, they are getting bigger each day! Daisy is a good mum and is taking really good care of them xx
the kittens are both male, one is mitted like mum, the other isn’t, and he is clearly a seal point. I am not sure what colour the mitted one will be yet but he is lighter than his brother. They are both so sweet xx

Attachments

Mumjoe267

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And I got my active ragdoll kitten yesterday- I did make another post about this but easier to just add it to this one. The breeder and I waited longer before I got her because of the kittens but she is here now and she is lovely x

Attachments

Mumjoe267

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And also - one last question. Atm, Daisy and her babies are in my room, in my wardrobe. I would like them to be downstairs really, when would I be able to move them down there? Obviously it’s a little more chaotic down there as I have three children and my other two cats are down there, should I leave her where she is for the time being? Atm, the kittens aren’t waking me up or climbing out of their box xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Leave them where they are for now. They are too young still to get in the ruckus and do not need the run of the house.