Possible new cat mutation found in Australia

bemba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Possibly a new mutation found in Adelaide, Australia - This is Alana she was found as a stray behind a shopping centre in Adelaide, Australia, along with her three kittens. She has a very unique and unusual tail that is very similar to a Husky or Basenji dog. I am working with her to establish if it is in fact inheritable and not an anomaly, but her kittens are showing signs of her tail trait also. I do know of a breed that is very new called the American Ringtail and she could very well be the same genetically. I am in contact with an American Ringtail breeder at present also. If anyone would like to chime in feel free.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've seen similar tails on the feral cats in Japan. One of my cats, Mia, has a tail that she holds up over her back in a similar way, although it's not as pronounced as Alana's tail carriage is. Alana has the short front legs and longer back legs that I see a lot in the feral population around here too. Does she keep her tail up like that all the time?

There are some pictures of cats with similar tails in this thread.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/222195/double-jointed-tail/30

Here's Mia.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
There are two cats at the shelter (in Germany) - both from the same feral colony and presumably related - with tails like that. I've seen others, so it's not all that rare a trait here.

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is related, buy at our local zoo, one of the cheetah's has a tail exactly like that. The zookeepers said it was a birth defect, and that she can't straighten it out. I don't remember what the defect was called though. Maybe this so the same situation? Not sure if this is relevant since the cheetah is a big cat, but I thought it was worth sharing. :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Not sure if this is related, buy at our local zoo, one of the cheetah's has a tail exactly like that. The zookeepers said it was a birth defect, and that she can't straighten it out. I don't remember what the defect was called though. Maybe this so the same situation? Not sure if this is relevant since the cheetah is a big cat, but I thought it was worth sharing.
It could be caused by the same thing. In-breeding often leads to birth defects like short, bent or twisted tails. I remember a documentary I watched about mountain lions in the US who had similar mutations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bemba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate you're input. Alana has been x - rayed and her skeletal system is completely normal. She has had kittens and I have kept two with similar tails to herself. If it's the same genes involved as the American Ringtail it's two sets of genes for the effect - one is a dominant "gay" tail carriage and the other a recessive gene that causes the tail to curl over the flank.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
From what I've read about the American Ringtail, it's not an issue with the skeletal system, as you indicated, but rather stronger-than-average muscles in the tail. Because of this, they're free from health issues seen in Manx and American Bobtail. This is very cool that you found this, who knows, two new breeds made might be on the rise, American Ringtail and Australian Ringtail. :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I, too, have a former feral tom who can do the full-circle "husky tail"! I can't find my usb cord to download pics but hope to share soon. I have a close friend who does some backyard breeding and she hopes to pair one of her females who is a cousin to my tom (her queen's mother was a Siamese/Manx mix from the grocery store parking lot, bred with her registered Himalayan) since the queen's brother also has the curly tail (in our local area, a "ringtail" is a raccoon-striped tail).  Arthur, my little cat, is actually a pretty, chocolate point Siamese mix and if he is displeased or worried, he straightens his tail but normally it is curled against his flank - when he is being petted or otherwise joyful, his tail goes into a tight "doughnut" shape - it's adorable.  I had planned to get him neutered a month or so ago but his personality is so friendly (esp for being born to a feral in a parking lot, a very smart feral who manages to avoid being trapped year after year), his coloring so unique and striking AND that adorable tail curl, it is really hard....

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alana is a wonder.She is beautiful. I would love a kitty like her.I am curious if this is a new breed.If you find out more about this let us all know.Thank you for posting those pics.

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is neat.  I have only ever had one or two kittens who did the tail carriage thing where it was over their back, and neither of them really held their tails in a curl.

Both were random-bred kittens from shelters that were summarily fixed and found homes.

I guess I have to wonder, though, what is the utility of having a cat with a curly tail?  In the dog world, we justify breeding purebred dogs for the traits that they have that are useful, against the sheer numbers of dogs who need homes.  We say, there are situations which necessitate the obtaining of a puppy with a known pedigree so we can predict what the puppy will be like as it grows up.

I see less of this in the cat world.  We breed for pretty things, for the unusual things that catch the eye, but it is worth it when so many cats never know loving homes? Can we really justify the willful creation of more cats because they look unique, knowing that for each one we create we may be taking a space away from a homeless cat or kitten that's already alive?

I am not against pure-bred animals, but I'm aware it's a touchy subject, and the creation of a new breed, while interesting, also seems to lack a point.

Yes, they are cool-looking.  But is there anything they can do as pets (since cats don't work, lol) that a randombred cat can't do?

I also was confused by the 'ringtail' name...I think of rings AROUND the tail, like a raccoon, not of a tail shaped like a ring.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Can we really justify the willful creation of more cats because they look unique, knowing that for each one we create we may be taking a space away from a homeless cat or kitten that's already alive?

I am not against pure-bred animals, but I'm aware it's a touchy subject, and the creation of a new breed, while interesting, also seems to lack a point.

Yes, they are cool-looking.  But is there anything they can do as pets (since cats don't work, lol) that a randombred cat can't do?

I also was confused by the 'ringtail' name...I think of rings AROUND the tail, like a raccoon, not of a tail shaped like a ring.
You have identified my own internal dilemma, Kat H!  Unfortunately, there are far too many people who simply won't adopt any cat unless it really catches their fancy - and surprisingly enough, they DO give their cat a great home (sometimes - as in any case).  AS far as my kitten Arthur goes, he is very muscular and is very friendly despite coming from a feral colony that has existed for over 10 years. My friend bred the cat that she got from the same colony and her cat's male kitten has the same "curly tail" and the same friendly personality (I don't know if the tail has anything to do with the personality, it might be a coincidence because the other genetic traits would be in both cats). I had tried to place Arthur and his 2 siblings but didn't have any success, so I kept them (although his brother and sister have gone missing this week - it took that for my mom to allow me to keep Arthur locked up inside the house;we have 25 cats total, including the 19 ferals outside - and there are no alternatives except euthanasia - the kill-shelter has no volunteers for the cats, but has plenty for dogs - in this rural setting dogs definitely get top billing.

As far as the "ring tail", in our area, the "ring tail" is circles around the tail, same as on raccoons and ringtail cats. So I prefer the term "curly tail".

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme

You've already answered part of your own question. You tried to place Arthur for adoption earlier, and you couldn't find him a good home.

You are supporting a lot of cats now. I don't think you really want to bring in more kittens.

Yes, he is adorable, but his personality won't necessarily be present in his kittens. Every cat is different, and there are no guarantees.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:nod:   I, too, have a former feral tom who can do the full-circle "husky tail"! I can't find my usb cord to download pics but hope to share soon. I have a close friend who does some backyard breeding and she hopes to pair one of her females who is a cousin to my tom (her queen's mother was a Siamese/Manx mix from the grocery store parking lot, bred with her registered Himalayan) since the queen's brother also has the curly tail (in our local area, a "ringtail" is a raccoon-striped tail).  Arthur, my little cat, is actually a pretty, chocolate point Siamese mix and if he is displeased or worried, he straightens his tail but normally it is curled against his flank - when he is being petted or otherwise joyful, his tail goes into a tight "doughnut" shape - it's adorable.  I had planned to get him neutered a month or so ago but his personality is so friendly (esp for being born to a feral in a parking lot, a very smart feral who manages to avoid being trapped year after year), his coloring so unique and striking AND that adorable tail curl, it is really hard....
I can't understand why you would want to support a backyard breeder, and even supply her with cats.