Possible Mild Separation Anxiety?

kk_yoshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my cat for almost a year now; I adopted him from a shelter and he is approximately 4-5 years olds. He is generally a very chill cat and fairly independent. I have worked from home for most of the time I have had him, and he seemed content with that setup, with a good balance of chilling with me and also doing his own thing. I have started to go back to work and am out of my home for a few hours at a time now. I got a pet camera so that I could check in on him while I am gone, and I have noticed that while I am gone he will sit in one spot looking at the front door (and napping) for the entire time I am gone. He doesn't cry or make a fuss when I leave, and he doesn't cry while I am gone, but he will continuously watch the front door when I am not there. When I get home, he is very vocal, will come to pet me, want pets, and then will immediately go on to use the bathroom, or play on his own, groom himself, or want me to play with him. Would this be considered separation anxiety? It just seems like he isn't comfortable doing anything when I am not there. Additionally, is there anything that might help with this?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long have you been back to work outside of your home? I’m thinking possibly a Feliway diffuser to help him cope? It contains a synthetic pheromone that mimics the pheromones that are made when a kitten is nursing. It’s calming for a lot of cats. Does he have a lot of toys to distract him? A cat tree in front of a window?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kk_yoshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long have you been back to work outside of your home? I’m thinking possibly a Feliway diffuser to help him cope? It contains a synthetic pheromone that mimics the pheromones that are made when a kitten is nursing. It’s calming for a lot of cats. Does he have a lot of toys to distract him? A cat tree in front of a window?
It's been a few weeks now, and I started leaving for only an hour or two at a time at first. I can look into Feliway! He does have a cat tree in front of a window, as well as two window perchs, two additional cat trees, and several toys he plays with by himself (like the ones with balls to roll) while I am home.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you’ve really covered the kitty bases! Great you’re going to look into the diffuser. Maybe find a cat entertainment television station? Something to catch his attention?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Poor little baby, he is waiting for you to come home! Maybe leave some worn, unwashed clothing of yours in places other than the spot he is spending his time at, and perhaps even place him in one of those areas right before you leave. Your scent might help him feel a bit better about your absence. You could even try placing a piece of clothing nearby the litter box and his food/water to see if he might use them as well.

You might also consider using some cat music to help relax him - David Teie's Music for Cats which is on Prime and Spotify, Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, and RelaxMyCat. Start with playing some when you are around, and see how he responds. Then set up timers for some of the music to play while you are gone.

He will eventually adapt, but I know it is so hard watching him go through this in the meantime.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. Poor little baby, he is waiting for you to come home! Maybe leave some worn, unwashed clothing of yours in places other than the spot he is spending his time at, and perhaps even place him in one of those areas right before you leave. Your scent might help him feel a bit better about your absence. You could even try placing a piece of clothing nearby the litter box and his food/water to see if he might use them as well.

You might also consider using some cat music to help relax him - David Teie's Music for Cats which is on Prime and Spotify, Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, and RelaxMyCat. Start with playing some when you are around, and see how he responds. Then set up timers for some of the music to play while you are gone.

He will eventually adapt, but I know it is so hard watching him go through this in the meantime.
I really like all those suggestions!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe anxiety but it could also simply be her trying to learn your new routine and once she figures out about what time you will be returning, she may move on to sleeping elsewhere during the day.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe anxiety but it could also simply be her trying to learn your new routine and once she figures out about what time you will be returning, she may move on to sleeping elsewhere during the day.
Good point!

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also think it's a phase, and cats can adapt to different routines in time. That doesn't mean your cat will play and chill while you are gone. When I was working full time, minish spent her day sleeping I guess. She would have swollen eyes and crazy energy that's how I knew she preferred to play with me and not by herself. As long as a cat does cat things daily, it's ok I think.