Possible Maine coon mix?

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 7.5lb regular domestic shorthair cat that had 3 babies. She got spayed and I’m keeping one baby. Her other two kittens are short furred and both the same size as each other, but the third kitten has long fur and ever since the first day he was born he was bigger than the rest and had a deeper, raspier meow than the others. His ears look like they have fur tips on them too.

So I’m curious if he looks like a regular domestic longhair or like a Maine coon mix, since I don’t know who the dad is.

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What a cutie. I don't see any features that are unique to Maine Coons. Some cats are just bigger than others.

Do you have any pictures of his tail? That's a better indicator of long or short hair than the ears. He may be a DLH, or he may be a DSH who still has his kitten fuzzies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I doubt it’s just fuzz, he has longer fur than any of my kittens have ever had before. There’s one long haired cat that lives in the area. I don’t know if it’s neutered or not but I’m thinking it’s a possibility that it’s the dad of this kitten.

I don’t know if these pictures are are good of his tail, let me know and if you need a different photo I can take one.

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does not look like an MC to me either. I agree domestic possible long hair but more towards the medium length of that category. Being mixed is highly unlikely.

He's adorable, love his baby blues. Will be interesting to see what color they turn out to be once he's matured more.

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay got it! I don’t know a whole lot about Maine coons, never had one before but was curious.

Im excited to see how he looks once he grows up. His eyes also look like they are turning green to me.

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here’s a picture of his fur length right now. He is 7.5 weeks old. Does this look like he will have medium or long hair? Or is it too early to tell? The comb is stopped at the tip of his fur. It’s about 1.5 inches long from base to end

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you are just going to have to wait on this one LOL.

Some short hair cats can be quite plush - we had one like that.

It's really hard to tell sometimes with kittens. They are naturally so fluffy and their guard hairs sometimes stick out making them look more fluffy than they are. Coats will change a lot during their first year too.

I do still think he may lean to being medium hair though. Keep that comb handy!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is a domestic long hair. There's actually no such thing as a domestic medium hair. Kittens just tend to have thicker fur and then as they age the length come out it varying degrees. Is mom a longhair? If so the dad would have to have been a shorthair with the longhair gene.

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom has short fur, dad could be my other short furred cat or any of the neighbors cats, which are mostly short fur except one long furred cat.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 7.5lb regular domestic shorthair cat that had 3 babies. She got spayed and I’m keeping one baby. Her other two kittens are short furred and both the same size as each other, but the third kitten has long fur and ever since the first day he was born he was bigger than the rest and had a deeper, raspier meow than the others. His ears look like they have fur tips on them too.

So I’m curious if he looks like a regular domestic longhair or like a Maine coon mix, since I don’t know who the dad is.
He is def a lh kitten, what a cutie😻 If your other male cat is not neutered please fix him asap.

As far as him being MC there is no way to tell for sure if there could be any ancestry if the parents are of unknown origin. I think he does not have obvious MC features to be a look alike etc. and is most likely a beautiful little red mackerel tabby dlh with possible forest cat ancestry 😀 sometimes the red tabbies are called solids even though they still have some stripes visible.

Here are videos of some red mc kittens 😀

Last edited:

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was he even 1 yet in this pic? I bet he got fluffier this year!
he was 9 months old in those pictures. He actually did not get any more fluffy, that was in the winter so he had a lot more fur. Now it’s hot outside and he has shorter fur

716FF5C8-D2AB-4AD0-AD7D-5B9C98385605.jpeg

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
he was 9 months old in those pictures. He actually did not get any more fluffy, that was in the winter so he had a lot more fur. Now it’s hot outside and he has shorter fur

View attachment 452184
still a pretty boy though! bet he gets fluffier this winter then. hes got the look of a winter floofer and kittens never reach the same level of floofyness as a 2 year old :)

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure actually, last time he was weighed was at the vet as a kitten. I think he is probably about 9 pounds though because he is about the same size or slighter bigger than my other male cat that is 8.5 pounds

LunarFlower

Genetics Enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure actually, last time he was weighed was at the vet as a kitten. I think he is probably about 9 pounds though because he is about the same size or slighter bigger than my other male cat that is 8.5 pounds
Gotcha. I guess mine is a big orange giant, haha. He’s right at 14 lbs. IMG_1781.jpeg

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, he’s big!

My boys mom is really small, just 7.5lbs. He was born a lot bigger than his two siblings, straight from day one. Now he is my biggest cat, but not because he actually IS big lol it’s only because the rest are super small haha
DFACB7E8-7F1B-4DB5-875F-54DA25A4CE7D.jpeg

Mistawis22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is a domestic long hair. There's actually no such thing as a domestic medium hair. Kittens just tend to have thicker fur and then as they age the length come out it varying degrees. Is mom a longhair? If so the dad would have to have been a shorthair with the longhair gene.
I have a cat I got back from the shelter, and they said he was a domestic medium hair. So how would you describe him if that doesn’t exist? He does not have the typical fluff of a long haired cat except in his tail and his guard hairs are a different color from his undercoat