Possible Lung Cancer - Feline ~13.5 Years Old

kittie84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am just a little confused, would love ideas/suggestions. Maybe grasping at any good outcome....

Helmytt is almost 13.5 years old, short hair domestic male, fixed.

Dec visit: Chemistry blood draw good, weight normal.

Feb visit: Thought he had lost weight... actually gained almost 2 lbs, chemistry blood draw good. Determined he gained weight because my other cat's diabetes/hyperthyroidism caused her eat less so he was eating all of the food, got her meds adjusted and she is good.

Beginning of May: Got out of my back yard for 3 days, I believe was accidently locked in someone's garage per the way he smelled. Thought he had lost weight but made sense.

July 8th visit: Thought he had lost weight, was down almost 4lbs since Feb visit (from 12 to 8, 2 lbs less the normal weight). Once we got the below blood results went in for a visit 7/10. Did CBC, I do not have the actual results but white blood count is normal (she didn't mention anything else) with that test. We did Xrays and did see a mass in his lung, not huge but definitely there I am guessing 1/2 inch diameter. She said it appeared contained/probably wasn't metastasized. He has always had kidney crystals which are definitely kidney stones now. We have outstanding blood tests to determine if it is ionized calcium and Primary hyperparathyroidism. The lab may have received his blood today to test, or I will get the results next week.

He is still eating, still drinking, acting normal. My bf's kid did tell me when he fed them when I was on vacation, that my other cat wouldn't let my Helmytt eat and he has to push her away to let Helmytt get some of the canned cat food. They have been on Pea and Rabbit dry food (RX) and Fancy Feast (1 can in am and 1 can in pm) for years now.

Chemistry blood draw 7/8 NOT fasted:
Type Normal Range
GLUCOSE 108 69-120 mg/dL

UREA NITROGEN SERUM H 49 10-42 mg/dL

CREATININE SERUM 1.68 0.80-2.00 mg/dL

BUN/CREAT 29 Ratio

BILIRUBIN TOTAL <0.2 <0.6 mg/dL

BILIRUBIN DIRECT <0.1 <0.3 mg/dL

BILIRUBIN INDIRECT *** mg/dL

Calculation for Indirect Bilirubin is invalid due to Total Bilirubun result of <0.2

ALT (SGPT) 67 <100 IU/L

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 34 <100 IU/L

LACTIC DEHYDROGENASE(LD) 82 <255 IU/L

AST (SGOT) 28 <65 IU/L

CHOLESTEROL H 190 95-150 mg/dL

TRIGLYCERIDES H 82 13-74 mg/dL

CALCIUM H 11.4 8.5-11.0 mg/dL

PHOSPHORUS 5.1 3.2-6.6 mg/dL

SODIUM H 164 145-159 mmol/L

POTASSIUM L 3.6 4.0-5.4 mmol/L

CHLORIDE H 128 108-126 mmol/L

PROTEIN SERUM 7.1 6.3-8.4 g/dL

ALBUMIN H 3.9 2.3-3.8 g/dL

GLOBULIN 3.2 g/dL

OSMOLALITY CALCULATED 338 295-345 mOsm/Kg

VET T4 1.7 0.7-5.5 ug/dL

I am thinking once the calcium comes back I will know for sure if it is cancer or not? Things are off on his results but he wasn't fasted so unsure how reliable some of the numbers are... The nodule in the lung exist and I can't talk my way out of that one.... Any thoughts? I do plan on going in for a 2nd opinion or getting the chemistry done again? I am lost.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

Hang in there!! :vibes::grouphug2:

Can you separate them, or whatever you need to do in order to ensure Helmytt is getting as much food as he wants?
Is there a canned version of the RX food?
Do you need to supplement his eating?

There might be something here that helps in that regard, concerning methods of feeding;
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry you are going through this. I am unclear, are you saying that another high calcium reading again would point TO -OR- AWAY from cancer? I am not sure I see a connection either way.

If the high calcium is due to primary hyperparathyroidism, then it is generally due to a tumor - which almost all are typically non-cancerous. I also saw that the phosphorus count would usually be high as well with this condition. That is one of the chem amounts that isn't high from your post above. But, I also read that high calcium levels can be affiliated with kidney stones as well (mineralization).

Feeby has never fasted for her geriatric tests, and her Chemistry Profile has so far come back all within normal ranges - I was never told to have her fast. Did the vet tell you that NOT fasting could mess up the results?

Sorry, I am asking more questions than I am answering. (Btw, I only know this calcium information because I have been reading up on blood test results all day - Feeby had her most recent blood results come back this morning.)

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i can well understand your concerns. I too had a 13 year old cat who (incidentally while looking for something else) was found to have a lung mass.

What must first be determined is whether the lung mass is a "primary mass" (originates in the lung), or a "secondary mass (originates elsewhere from metastasis elsewhere).

Chest radiographs, a CT scan of the chest and an abdominal ultrasound are recommended to evaluate for cancer spread prior to any surgery.

In my girl's case, her mass was a primary one. She underwent CT scan of her chest as well as abdominal ultrasound before undergoing surgery in which a lobe of lung was removed.

She recovered very well. Although the tumor was contained, she received chemo injections every four weeks for a total of five treatments. The tumor never returned and she passed away several years later from something totally unrelated.

I would recommend you see a Vet Oncologist who is the best to advise you going forward once you get all the bloodwork results back.

I wish you and your kitty the very best outcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittie84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. So sorry you are going through this. I am unclear, are you saying that another high calcium reading again would point TO -OR- AWAY from cancer? I am not sure I see a connection either way.

If the high calcium is due to primary hyperparathyroidism, then it is generally due to a tumor - which almost all are typically non-cancerous. I also saw that the phosphorus count would usually be high as well with this condition. That is one of the chem amounts that isn't high from your post above. But, I also read that high calcium levels can be affiliated with kidney stones as well (mineralization).

Feeby has never fasted for her geriatric tests, and her Chemistry Profile has so far come back all within normal ranges - I was never told to have her fast. Did the vet tell you that NOT fasting could mess up the results?

Sorry, I am asking more questions than I am answering. (Btw, I only know this calcium information because I have been reading up on blood test results all day - Feeby had her most recent blood results come back this morning.)
I appreciate the response no worries on the questions. For calcium being high, we are looking if it is the ionized calcium number which is high, if so that points to cancer. This is one of the results we are awaiting, had to have it sent to some university out of state.

We are checking for the hyperparathyroidism caused by a tumor, the tumor releases (and some tumors in general) a chemical or something they can test for. This is another test we are waiting on which had to go to an university out of state.

I have been trying to determine if the stones could cause the calcium being high. I know an increase in calcium can cause stones.

As far as fasting, yes I was told that fasting could compromise some of the numbers, but was not told which ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittie84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i can well understand your concerns. I too had a 13 year old cat who (incidentally while looking for something else) was found to have a lung mass.

What must first be determined is whether the lung mass is a "primary mass" (originates in the lung), or a "secondary mass (originates elsewhere from metastasis elsewhere).

Chest radiographs, a CT scan of the chest and an abdominal ultrasound are recommended to evaluate for cancer spread prior to any surgery.

In my girl's case, her mass was a primary one. She underwent CT scan of her chest as well as abdominal ultrasound before undergoing surgery in which a lobe of lung was removed.

She recovered very well. Although the tumor was contained, she received chemo injections every four weeks for a total of five treatments. The tumor never returned and she passed away several years later from something totally unrelated.

I would recommend you see a Vet Oncologist who is the best to advise you going forward once you get all the bloodwork results back.

I wish you and your kitty the very best outcome.
Thank you so much. Yes I am awaiting for these results to come back to get referred to a Vet Oncologist. I know they are the ones who can provide the real information for my case etc.
I am just finding conflicting info in regards to his labs and whatnot so curious if anyone else has had experience/any ideas... just trying to pass time and keep up hope.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sending warm positive thoughts (for me, a 1st, as am a Type A person re health -- aka a real worrywort) but do hang tough as miracles do happen! Just a GREAT site of VERY supportive folks on here! Wish we all were meeting in person to really bandy ideas together. :)