Possible kitten eye infection

marispaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I just took in a group of 4 two week old kittens and their stray mama. All of their eyes have opened, but sometimes will be crusted over or stuck shut again. I attached some pictures of the kittens. I just would like to know if I should take them to the vet or if this is fairly normal. The mama is still pretty stressed so I don’t want to transport them if unnecessary.

Thank you!

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is feline herpes, a VERY common occurrence in litters. It is NOT transferrable to humans. When My litter got it the vet gave me an antibiotic salve to apply, which when the eyes were closed I just wiped across the slit. On eyes that are open, pull gently down until a 'pouch' forms and apply it in the pouch. without the antibiotic, it can get bad, but it IS a virus, so may clear up on its own. Watch it carefully, if the drainage/crust turns colored, white, yellow, or green, then the salve is definitely needed. Clear, you can just keep wiping the eyes clean with a soft, warm, wet cloth. Take those pictures into the vet and show them, some close up, and explain the mother gets too stressed to ber brought in.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Depending on your relationship with your vet, they may accept a pic, so I would try that first. Once when I was in this situation, the vet allowed me to bring one kitten in quickly for an actual visit, then gave me enough meds for the rest of them.