possible intussusception last night?

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!
I am new to this site but looking for some opinions! It'll be a long post but I feel all of the info is needes to understand what we're going through. I foster a lot of cats and have an 8 week old kitten here that since getting him at 4 weeks old has always had 1 day a week where he drools excessively. He eats Innova wet and Nutro dry. I wasn't wetting the dry down until last week when the vet advised me to. He got into dry food, without water added, yesterday morning, this I think is the culprit to our problem.

On his drooly days, he isn't too interested in food or play but likes to just hang out and be left alone. We saw a vet last week about this and she couldn't pin point it. He always comes out of these episodes, it never lasts more than 24 hours.

Yesterday, I noticed around noon he was drooling. By 4:30pm he was in a fetal position, not wanting to hold himself up, use the litter box, or repsond much to me talking to him. I rushed him to the ER vet. They did radiographs that showed a suspsicious thickened area of intestines right below his stomach. She (the vet) said she isn't sure what it is but it could be intussusception. We gave him pain meds for the night and I drove him to the rescue coordinators home so he could be seen the next morning by their vet (at a much cheaper cost too)

When I dropped him off last night, I spoke to our preferred vet on the phone. I explained all that had happened and she was shocked to hear a vet that suspected intussusception would even let me leave without mentioning the need for surgery. Anyways, she said she doesn't think the vet had a good enough idea what it could be and just mentioned it may be intussusception to us. We let poor kitty rest for the night and he would be seen in the a.m.

I gotta be honest, I wasn't expecting gim to pull through such an ordeal but he did!! He was very confused and unhappy coming off of the pain meds but he is totally normal.Eating, using litter box, playing, etc. My question is this: after all my research I am finding that an intussusception is almost always fatal if not treated. What other conditions could cause inflamed intestines and such pain? I don't think he had an intussusception but he will be seeing another vet tomorrow to review radiographs and come up with a treatment plan to prevent this again.

I have read about IBD and had This mentioned to the vet this morning. She agreed it may be a severe allergy to food, most likely dry food, and to keep him on wet food only. I am so paranoid this is going to keep happening, though....

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no experience with this, but it sounds so painful for your little guy.  I'm hoping someone comes along with more info than I have.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
Yesterday, I noticed around noon he was drooling. By 4:30pm he was in a fetal position, not wanting to hold himself up, use the litter box, or repsond much to me talking to him. I rushed him to the ER vet. They did radiographs that showed a suspsicious thickened area of intestines right below his stomach. She (the vet) said she isn't sure what it is but it could be intussusception. We gave him pain meds for the night and I drove him to the rescue coordinators home so he could be seen the next morning by their vet (at a much cheaper cost too)

When I dropped him off last night, I spoke to our preferred vet on the phone. I explained all that had happened and she was shocked to hear a vet that suspected intussusception would even let me leave without mentioning the need for surgery. Anyways, she said she doesn't think the vet had a good enough idea what it could be and just mentioned it may be intussusception to us. We let poor kitty rest for the night and he would be seen in the a.m.

I gotta be honest, I wasn't expecting gim to pull through such an ordeal but he did!! He was very confused and unhappy coming off of the pain meds but he is totally normal.Eating, using litter box, playing, etc. My question is this: after all my research I am finding that an intussusception is almost always fatal if not treated. What other conditions could cause inflamed intestines and such pain? I don't think he had an intussusception but he will be seeing another vet tomorrow to review radiographs and come up with a treatment plan to prevent this again.

I have read about IBD and had This mentioned to the vet this morning. She agreed it may be a severe allergy to food, most likely dry food, and to keep him on wet food only. I am so paranoid this is going to keep happening, though....

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
so, this thickened area was in the small intestine?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. Only a small 'loop' the vet said was thickened. Lots of gas present as well.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, this sounds absolutely horrible. Could you have him seen by another vet and see what they say? Yes, do keep him on canned. I am wondering what is causing the drooling. I am rather shocked they let a cat in that much pain, with such an supposed emergency go home. I am glad he is well now. Hopefully he stays this way.

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, this sounds absolutely horrible. Could you have him seen by another vet and see what they say? Yes, do keep him on canned. I am wondering what is causing the drooling. I am rather shocked they let a cat in that much pain, with such an supposed emergency go home. I am glad he is well now. Hopefully he stays this way.
He was doing well until this evening. Declining rapidly, drooling, clenched jaw, but otherwise limp. He was taken to our vet and she has taken him home with her for monitoring. So far blood work has been done. He did have a fever tonight, unlike yesterday when his temperature was 97 degrees Fahrenheit. They initially thought seizures, now we are not sure. Hopefully tomorrow we will have some answers. Absolutely breaks my heart, he is a foster baby but I feel like he is my own.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry, I am sad to say this, but maybe, you might need to think about letting him go, usually when their temperature goes down, the organs shut down, I'm so sorry. I hope he is on pain meds and resting well. Please feel free to pm me. Just recently about two weeks ago, I had to let one of mine go, his kidneys failed on him from being blocked. :( Sometimes the best thing you can do, is let them go.

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry, I am sad to say this, but maybe, you might need to think about letting him go, usually when their temperature goes down, the organs shut down, I'm so sorry. I hope he is on pain meds and resting well. Please feel free to pm me. Just recently about two weeks ago, I had to let one of mine go, his kidneys failed on him from being blocked. :( Sometimes the best thing you can do, is let them go.
Thank you for your kind words. I do agree, sometimes their quality of life is not there and we have to make that difficult decision. It is not solely up to me, I am just the foster mom and my wonderful rescue coordinator is the one footing the bills. She is amazing and will make all the right decisions. He is still with the vet, trying to pinpoint what it might be. I wish I had an update but i'm sure the vet is very focused on getting to the bottom of this.

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: possible liver shunt? Vet wants to run a 12 hr fasting test tomorrow.

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is definitely a liver shunt. I have made the decision to continue fostering him to give the little guy a chance! He is only 9 weeks old, and he has shown all of us how much of a fighter he is! Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. We understand his chances of being adopted out are slim, but he is always welcome in our home....I was reminded to take one day at a time with him because we just don't know how management will be (special diet & lactulose).

I asked his vet about adding Milk thistle and she said his liver is healthy, but the vessel is the problem....Milk thistle wouldn't help much In such a case.

She also seemed adamant on feeding him purina nf (very costly to a rescue group!) even though I asked if we could stick to a certain protein % range. Regardless, I feel confident in his Vet's advice because despite seeing 3 other vets in his short lifespan, she was the only one to pinpoint the problem.

Thanks for all your warm thoughts and kind words...I have a lot of learning to do. I pray our little guy (who's name is Sprinkles, by the way) will live a long, healthy life.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is surgery an option? I know they are not always operable and there is the expense.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is because it is a kidney diet and its lower in protein which he needs. I like the name Sprinkles, sounds cute. I hope he does well. He hasn't had anymore of those episodes has he? Also if you called Purina and explained the situation they might kindly send some discount coupons or samples. Please keep us posted on little Sprinkles.

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Surgery is expensive, we have thought of maybe fundraising for his surgery since we do have some time...The vet mentioned that surgery is risky and doesn't always work, or causes secondary problems after surgery- like seizures.

He hasn't had any complications since being on the diet and lactulose. Not one seizure! Which, to me, seems promising that management will work out for the little guy. He doesn't seem to mind the purina NF, except maybe the texture. I on the other hand, do not like the by products in the food [emoji]128542[/emoji][emoji]128542[/emoji]

Here is Sprinkles with our cat Neko. This was taken today after he came home from the Vet, they hadn't seen each other in four days....they have been best friends since rescuing Sprinkles from the shelter at three weeks old!

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention poor Sprinkles has a URI on top of it all....that's why he looks a little messy in the above picture