Possible interrupted labor

princessautumn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Evening! My dear kitty cat Nancy just had a litter of five kittens, sadly two have passed. One was stillborn, while the other one was weak and died withen the hour. The other two were fine, then I left her alone for about an hour and she had the fifth one.
It has been around six hours since her last kitten came out. Feeling around her tummy, it feels as if she has one or two more kittens. She is eating, drinking and nursing her kittens.
To my understanding, they can stop labor if they feel bothered, and I have been checking on her quite frequently.
I would just like some advice on how to go about this and what to do.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the kittens nursing well? If mom has more kittens they will come when they and her body are ready. Labor can pause for hours and sometimes even days. As long as mom is not in distress there is nothing to worry about. Also, a cat’s uterus can feel lumpy after delivering kittens, and can take 7-10 days to shrink back to normal. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princessautumn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are the kittens nursing well? If mom has more kittens they will come when they and her body are ready. Labor can pause for hours and sometimes even days. As long as mom is not in distress there is nothing to worry about. Also, a cat’s uterus can feel lumpy after delivering kittens, and can take 7-10 days to shrink back to normal. :)
Seems like they are feeding on mama quite a bit. Nancy is very tired and panting a lot, not sure if that's distress or just stress from her kits. Adding on, feeling her belly more, it does feel like a head and a body, could just imagining it though. Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give mom a dish of kitten formula to drink. She needs the calcium. If you have no formula on hand, give her a little milk to lap. It helps the panting. The panting can be a sign of low calcium, which can be dangerous.

princessautumn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Give mom a dish of kitten formula to drink. She needs the calcium. If you have no formula on hand, give her a little milk to lap. It helps the panting. The panting can be a sign of low calcium, which can be dangerous.
Thank you! I do have kitten milk. She stoped panting so far and is just purring :)

princessautumn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is it going now?
It's going okay. Another kitten has sadly passed, the runt. She has been sleeping away from her kits as well and wants me to watch them. To my knowledge they haven't been eating as much today.
Mama is occasionally panting. Still feels as if a kit is in her. She is very tired.
Thank you for checking up.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's going okay. Another kitten has sadly passed, the runt. She has been sleeping away from her kits as well and wants me to watch them. To my knowledge they haven't been eating as much today.
Mama is occasionally panting. Still feels as if a kit is in her. She is very tired.
Thank you for checking up.
Be sure the kittens doesnt get cold if momma is away. Unless its very hot in your place!

Weigh them daily, (if necessary twice daily) and be prepared to supplement feed them. If you dont have a scale, try at least to compare with your hand and eye. - difficult if you arent very experienced, but better than nothing...

Momma: it may be afterpains, it may be one more. its touchy, her tiedness is potentially worrying, even alarming. lets call it for Yellow Alert.

Be sure she gets calcium rich food - whatever she eats. Plenty to drink. Forcefeed her if necessary.
You can smear a little white caro syrup on her gum, it gives energhy. do it now and then.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m sorry another one has passed. Has mom had formula to drink? Are the kittens gaining weight? Do the kittens need supplementing?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you talked to the vet about her? Does it still feel like she has a kitten in her?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it going? Is momma still with us? Her tiredness didnt sounded good, so Im worrying.
but what to do, when all forumists reports their vet is closed because of corona?

P princessautumn

princessautumn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is it going? Is momma still with us? Her tiredness didnt sounded good, so Im worrying.
but what to do, when all forumists reports their vet is closed because of corona?

P princessautumn
Hello, apologies for the late reply. Momma is doing good, I hope. The last two kittens just passed not even two hours ago, fading kitten syndrome. It's my fault, the first time I thought they had it, three days ago, I brushed it off as tiredness. Momma doesn't seem to be grieving. Any advice would be good, thank you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello, apologies for the late reply. Momma is doing good, I hope. The last two kittens just passed not even two hours ago, fading kitten syndrome. It's my fault, the first time I thought they had it, three days ago, I brushed it off as tiredness. Momma doesn't seem to be grieving. Any advice would be good, thank you.
Im glad momma managed the crisis. Im sorry for the kittens...

If this happens again, with tired / lethargic kitten, try with a tiny droplet of white caro syrup or honey on their gum. Or give them such sweetened water to drink, if they drink.

If you have real glucose sugar / dextrose, use this instead.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear the loss of the remaining kittens, how very sad 😢
Glad to hear Mama is okay though, be careful has she could come into heat any day now especially having no babies to nurse.