Possible hyperesthesia?

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat Gracie is about 4 years old. Healthy and active-- always a bit on the crazy size (running loops around the house before eating, etc.). During rhe day she's one of those cats that sleeps with her paws up in weird poses, and she's quite a snuggler at night. Really, an amazing cat.

Yesterday morning she started running around after breakfast. Not abnormal for her, BUT I saw the skin on her back rippling back and forth, and she's stop to kind of clean and bite at her back. We had a cat that did this years ago and we just called it "the spurts" so we weren't too worried. After running around for a bit, chasing her own tail at one point, she pooped herself out and slept for the rest of the day in a cat bed under the table. She ate fine last night, but is still acting a bit twitchy today. She sits and seems a bit unsettled-- and then her back still ripples up a bit. She's eating great and acting fine, but a bit tired, OR crazy. We called the vet and they said to keep an eye on her and try to get a video.

Any experiences with this? I've read a bit about it already but how long do episodes last? I know it's not dangerous but is medication necessary?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn’t sound like anything abnormal to me. Cats can have a couple of days where they are just more energetic and crazy than other days. And as part of that they can be twitchy or stop to do some grooming before resuming. But I would keep an eye on her and take her for a vet visit if you remain concerned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It doesn’t sound like anything abnormal to me. Cats can have a couple of days where they are just more energetic and crazy than other days. And as part of that they can be twitchy or stop to do some grooming before resuming. But I would keep an eye on her and take her for a vet visit if you remain concerned.
Thanks! It's a bit abnormal for her because usually she's more snuggly at night, and sleeps out in the open during the day. But maybe she's just having an off few days. She seems a bit uneasy-- pensive. BUT she's eating well, watching the squirrels outside, and chasing the laser light like normal. We will just keep an eye on her for now. I don't want to bring her to the vet if there's nothing to look at.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Other than keeping a watch on her, I would say to check for fleas. It doesn't matter whether or not she is an indoor only cat, nor unless you are having sub-zero temps for days on end, fleas can happen.

Unsettled behavior can also be the result of an outdoor animal (stray cat, or otherwise) that is frequenting your yard. She can sense them even if you can't.

Neither of these scenarios are likely to affect her eating/drinking/litterbox habits/playing, unless they get out of control.