Possible Hydrocephalus

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I just wanted to start by saying I foster cats for the local Humane Society. When a female named Lazy Bones came in just days away from giving birth (we didn't know this) I offered to take her if need be. No one expected her to be "that" pregnant, or even pregnant at all. Well, she gave birth a couple days later, while I was volunteering. The foster kitten was tiny and weak and she hadn't removed it from the sac. Even though I rinsed its body in warm water and massaged it and dried it off and kept it warm and even tried to bring it back to life, it passed away. However, she had three kittens that did survive, with assistance drying them and removing the after-birth (she tried to eat it but was unable to). Lyla (Lazy Bone's new name) had just been wormed a couple days ago, and this perhaps is the reason for the premature birth. The babies were half the size they were suppose to be and weak. Their mother practically fed them constantly for the first week, before I brought the family home to foster.

Anyways, one of the kittens had come breach-first (not a problem) except its head got caught. My Mom didn't know it wasn't fully out and was going to lift it to dry it off and ended up pulling the head out. For a premie it seems weird it should have been caught, or perhaps the injury was caused by this. Whatever it was, it was instantly noticeable the difference in the darkest kitten in the litter (Nocturne). She would wander off and try to escape the crate in her first week, always behind her mother or away from the nipples. She would crawl out from her nest and to the door before her eyes were open. She was causing trouble from day one.  : )

As she got older she would scream to be held and snuggled, preferring me over her mother. She seemed to hear everything and would jump at every sound, easily startle, but loved cuddles. She started following me to the door and screaming (you could hear her from down-stairs above loud noises) for attention. The other kittens mostly stayed hidden and were more easily frightened.

She would wag her tail and waddle in this odd fashion, often fall over on her side, trip or get stuck on her back. She ran into things a lot (she isn't blind, she sees toys and movement well). She rolls a lot when being held, right off your lap or off of the bed and I always have to catch her because she goes complete limp with trust (guess she is testing me). Her eyes were very large and pointing down, her skull was large and rounded, her ears were on the side of her head and she has this pot-belly her siblings don't. She eats well, but she can't climb or jump as well as them, as if her balance is off. I use to think she had miniature seizures because she would tremble while being held, but she never had a full-on seizure that I know of.

Nocturne is now 10 weeks old. Her two sisters (Twilight and Oziana) are about the same weight as her (Oz more and Ty less). She has been vaccinated and dewormed, taught to use the litter-box (some of the time) and knows her name. However, she still is a very different shape then the others and very different in behavior. The sweetest cat I know, she loves to cuddle and will sleep more then them, making me think that with the fatigue she has almost all the symptoms. Could be genetic, could be from that hard birth, could be from the wormers her Mom got (the vet said that shouldn't be it, but you never know), or could be from being premature. Whatever it is, I want to know what other symptoms and issues to look for, as I plan to adopt her, but we don't have a lot of money for vet bills, so if she will need lots of medication or surgeries to live a good life we can't provide that.

Nocturne at around 5 weeks of age. She and her siblings are always about a week behind in size.

Oziana at 9-10 weeks for comparison.

Nocturne snuggling.

Oziana and Twilight (born roan but darkened to black with age).

Nocturne getting a tummy tickle at around 5 weeks of age.

Nocturne with either Ty or Oz at just a few weeks of age.

Nocturne watching Oziana.

Nocturne and Twilight.

About a week of age. Again, notice how Nox is separate from her siblings.

Just a few days old. See how small they were? They were half the weight htey were suppose to be.

At birth (don't think this is Nox, just one of the kitties).

Thanks for any help you can offer! I'd love to hear more about how individuals treated their pets as well as their behavior and other care. Any strange behaviors or disabilities?

Thanks.  : )

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the only way you are going to know exactly what the costs for care and HOW to care is to find out just what is wrong with her.  She's simply adorable, BTW

Check out this thread:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/246372/11-month-old-with-hydrocephalus   There might be something helpful in it, including resources.

Could it be that she has cerebellar hypoplasia?  That's the issue where they seem like they're drunk. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for answering. I'll certainly check that out. I'm going to ask the Humane Society's vet about it when she comes back on Wednesday also.

And yes, Nocturne has to be one of the cutest cats I've seen. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I talked to the vet. She's pretty sure it is hydrocephalus, but that Nocturne seems to be doing well. So, today I'm going to adopt her!!! My first foster failure. I've been waiting for this moment for a while.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I talked to the vet. She's pretty sure it is hydrocephalus, but that Nocturne seems to be doing well. So, today I'm going to adopt her!!! My first foster failure. I've been waiting for this moment for a while.

Congratulations on the adoption.  This is why I can't foster
.  I'd have a house full because I'd never be able to give any of them up.