Possible Higher Risk Of Cancer - What To Look For?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, this has been on my mind a bit, and I wanted to idk, get it out there.

I've heard two towns Lelia was possibly trapped from, but the more likely one (since the lady who thinks she trapped her told me) has been in our local news a fair amount lately about a factory there that has been shooting elevated amounts of a cancer causing gas in the air. Which means Lelia would have been breathing it her first few months (I'm hoping if she was trapped there, it was at least the opposite side of town).

Anyway, I kind of feel like I have to work on the assumption she has a good chance of getting cancer someday (hopefully many, many years in the future). Is there anything I should be specifically watching her for? So far, she's healthy. I just want to be prepared to notice and catch something early-ish if and when it does happen.

Sorry for rambling, I'm likely overreacting a bit, but I worry every time it shows up on the news again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Talk to your vet about your concerns, and ask if there are any tests they would recommend Leila go through periodically. I am guessing the vet is well aware of the issues showing up on the news as well. My guess is they are going to tell you not to worry so much, but they might also give you a better perspective on what to watch out for.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
On top of what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, keep a journal about her body. Write down any changes.

Example:
Jan 6 2019: no concern, no lumps, mouth looks clear
Mar 20 2027: small lump found near tail, will continue to monitor
Mar 23 2027: small lump has went away, was most likely an abscess but I will follow up with my vet

This should really be done by all cat owners whether they were afraid of a higher chance of cancer or not.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On top of what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, keep a journal about her body. Write down any changes.

Example:
Jan 6 2019: no concern, no lumps, mouth looks clear
Mar 20 2027: small lump found near tail, will continue to monitor
Mar 23 2027: small lump has went away, was most likely an abscess but I will follow up with my vet

This should really be done by all cat owners whether they were afraid of a higher chance of cancer or not.
:agree:
Another thing to add in those notes is weight, weekly if you can.
If over the course of a month a 10 pound cat loses 1 1/2 pounds, it probably won't be noticed by your naked eye that sees her every day (especially when it happens slowly and gradually). A friend or cat loving friend that sees her once a month or so might, so this is something always to consider. 1 1/2 pounds or so doesn't sound like much, but on a 10 pound frame, it's a lot!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
:agree:
Another thing to add in those notes is weight, weekly if you can.
If over the course of a month a 10 pound cat loses 1 1/2 pounds, it probably won't be noticed by your naked eye that sees her every day. A friend or cat loving friend that sees her once a month or so might, so this is something always to consider. 1 1/2 pounds or so doesn't sound like much, but on a 10 pound frame, it's a lot!
Right, in general you should be keeping a lot of notes. I was just writing an example.

I do weight, any changes in the mouth, did they have bowel movements today, when did they eat last. New lumps on the body? Hydration test once a week (pinch between the shoulders and see how fast the skin goes back) and touch the gums and see the colour come back. Etc etc

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right, in general you should be keeping a lot of notes. I was just writing an example.

I do weight, any changes in the mouth, did they have bowel movements today, when did they eat last. New lumps on the body? Hydration test once a week (pinch between the shoulders and see how fast the skin goes back) and touch the gums and see the colour come back. Etc etc
It's an excellent idea. Cats are masters at hiding discomfort so this way if you're watching something for a few days, you'll be able to look back and know exactly when and how whatever the problem is started. No guessing or trying to remember! :) And you're right, even if your cat is deemed 100% healthy, this is a very, very good habit to get into.

Lari Lari it's obvious but I'll mention it here (also something owners should do no matter what) is have a money stash if you can in case of emergency for a down payment. Learn all you can about cancer and the treatments and try to imagine a solution you'd feel comfortable with based on her overall health, age, etc., easier said than done, but sometimes going in "fully armed" with knowledge and a blueprint for action can make bad news a little less scary. You still feel helpless but less helpless. (Does this make sense I hope?)
Feed her good food, make sure she gets exercise, lots of play, lots of love, lots of good quality sleep, sunshine if you can, and all the clean water she wants. Odds are she'll be fine but I think your concerns are valid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Talk to your vet about your concerns, and ask if there are any tests they would recommend Leila go through periodically. I am guessing the vet is well aware of the issues showing up on the news as well. My guess is they are going to tell you not to worry so much, but they might also give you a better perspective on what to watch out for.
That's a really good idea. She's not due in until the summer, and none of this had come out yet the last time she was in, but I've called them with random questions before, so I'm sure I can contact outside of appointments.

I feel this would go about as well as the time I tried to do a food journal for myself. :running:I'm pretty aware of her habits and do make a mental note and watch closely when things are a bit off. And then I tell her she'll have to go to the vet if she doesn't eat/poop or whatever and she usually does it. :winkcat:

1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 - man, I really am going to need a side hustle with all this money I need. I think I will need to research more and have a plan just in case, you're right. My girl's not even two yet, and I want her to have a long happy life ahead of her. Thanks!:catrub:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel this would go about as well as the time I tried to do a food journal for myself. :running:I'm pretty aware of her habits and do make a mental note and watch closely when things are a bit off. And then I tell her she'll have to go to the vet if she doesn't eat/poop or whatever and she usually does it
The difference between a food journal for yourself and a health journal for your kitty cat is quite immense.

She cannot keep a journal for herself and relies on you to take care of her. As mentioned cats are notoriously good at hiding their issues and pain. It’s up to each and every one of us cat lovers to be mindful.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The difference between a food journal for yourself and a health journal for your kitty cat is quite immense.

She cannot keep a journal for herself and relies on you to take care of her. As mentioned cats are notoriously good at hiding their issues and pain. It’s up to each and every one of us cat lovers to be mindful.
Very true. I do my best for her and will continue to do what I can to help her.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh. So Lelia has her vet appointment Thursday and I reached out to her TNR about where she came from...and the intersection they gave me is half a mile at most from big cancer causing place. Yay. They said at least she spent a lot of time on an enclosed porch?

Well, we'll see what her vet says.