Possible FHV?

Kelj78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning I noticed my young cat who came to us as a stray 4-5 weeks ago, is pregnant, and is an outdoor/indoor cat developed a fever blister on her bottom lip with a puffy chin. I also noticed recently she has consistent tachypnea. The normal range is 15-30 bpm and I counted hers at 120bpm even at rest. I googled causes of it and the information mostly said heart problems or even heart worms which is very uncommon in cats but can happen. Aside from that she appears to be a healthy, active young kitty. She does appear to drink a lot of water, much more than I’ve ever seen in my other cats. I’m not sure if that means anything or not.
But does a fever blister mean FHV? Is the tachypnea related to FHV? Is it possible to have a fever blister and not have FHV? Does this mean my other 3 cats will catch it? Will her kittens be carriers or will they have active infections? What about the cost of medical treatment for cats with FHV? I have no experience with this so if anyone does I would appreciate any input/advice.( I am taking her to the vet on Monday.)
0F6616C7-81CB-4549-A383-DFF865E2BE3F.jpeg
909892BD-80C4-46F0-A6EC-868BFE1626E3.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. FHV generally presents itself through upper respiratory issues - flu like symptoms. The sore on your cat's mouth can be a sign of FHV, but it might be a rodent ulcer which is generally caused by some sort of allergen (food, plastic bowls, fleas to name a few).

Are you using bpm as 'beats per minute' or 'breaths per minute'? A cat's normal heart rate is generally anywhere from 120 to 220 beats per minute, where as the respiration rate typically runs from 15-30 breaths per minute. Heart rate is usually done by feeling for the pulse in the 'armpit' of a cat's front left paw, and respirations are done by counting how many times the rib cage rises or falls within a minute. I truly believe that if her respirations are that high, I think you would be seeing much more alarming behavior from her. Just my opinion...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelj78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is breaths per minute. I work in the medical field so I was instantly alarmed of her rapid breathing. I did a breath count at different times and she always averaged around 120 breaths per minute. But the fact that she appears just fine is baffling. I read that such a high bpm could be indicative of congestive heart problems or heart worms. Of course I won’t know until Monday when we go to the vet.
I am starting to think a rodents ulcer may be the cause of this other issue as you said. I did some more internet searching and this is what it seems to be, but again I’ll know on Monday.
But her rapid breathing does concern me. Even now while she is laying down, her belly is rising up and down soo fast with shallow breaths, but she is sleeping away soo peacefully.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did a breath count at different times and she always averaged around 120 breaths per minute. But the fact that she appears just fine is baffling. I read that such a high bpm could be indicative of congestive heart problems or heart worms.
Could she be dehydrated? That can also cause abnormalities in breathing. I assume you know how to check her for dehydration?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelj78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could she be dehydrated? That can also cause abnormalities in breathing. I assume you know how to check her for dehydration?
Yes I did check her and she passed with flying colors. In fact she drinks the most water of all the cats. With her the water bowl is nearly empty every morning. Before she came here my other 3 hardly touched the water bowl, I often wondered if they even drank water lol but they most likely hydrated themselves outside. She seems to be the only one who prefers my water over outdoor sources! I will post an update tomorrow after we see the vet. I’m hoping for the best.