Possible FCV flare - do treatments work for resurgences?

hoosiercatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yikes! Somehow I just deleted my entire post. Paragraphs... Oh. My. Goodness. *facepalm*

Stay tuned. Abbreviated recap coming soon...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hoosiercatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gus is a 16-year-old cat with a variety of mounting health issues I will share in another thread I'm pondering about when to choose home-based palliative care for a cat that is terrified and traumatized by vet visits, and also often ends up with stress-related UTIs after them. For now, even though he has symptoms I know are indicative of things like CKD, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, or IBD, I'm briefly hitting pause on bringing him in. I typed a whole long (probably defensive) explanation in my initial post, but somehow lost it.

Essentially, the brass tacks are that both Gus and his sister who passed away in May seemed to sometimes get "flares" of respiratory illnesses despite being vaccinated. I know FVC and FHV can be contracted as kittens, though, and since they were strays for a few months before I took them in, it's possible they became carriers. We never had them tested since they never had an active flare when we'd be at the vet. We're not sure which they had/have, but Gus has the worst flare he'd ever had a few months ago after Liz passed (mondo eye goop and sneezes). I know colloidal silver is controversial, but I've had great experience with it, and sure enough, a few days later, after daily drops in the eyes, he was well again.

Cut to his current situation. His eyes are fine, but he's sneezing a bit, blowing out a tiny bit of opaque snot every now and then, and something new: oral lesions on his upper lip and the back cover of his lower one. They look angry and painful. A vet visit, ordinarily what we'd do, isn't going to work right now for financial reasons (we just paid off the $2,500 emergency vet bill of his late sister's), and most importantly: Gus's comfort levels. The vet terrifies him. He's incredible sensitive, and pees/messes himself at each visit, sometimes ending up with a post-visit stress-induced UTI. On top of that, he generally won't take oral meds without puking, and I want him to keep down whatever food he's eating right now. (I'm not down for a Convenia shot either, given the risks.) So if this is something we can manage at home right now, I'd like to try that first.

Since colloidal silver has no real taste, he lets me give it to him orally, which if it helps speed the lip lesion healing, I feel like it's worth it... But I'm finding myself wondering if medication (traditional or holistic) can touch latent infections. Put differently, does the fact that an animal is a permanent carrier mean that trying to calm a flare is futile other than just "riding it out"?

The poor little guy looks miserable. He will need to be seen shortly for other apparent issues developing (we're overdue for a senior blood panel), but since he's so easily affected by stress, I don't want to add more potential anxiety-induced issues to the current lineup. I'd like to clear the present one before screening for other issues that will cause him to, surprise, develop more issues thanks to vet-visit stress.

I love this fella to the moon and back, and I'm rather beside myself with anxiety on his behalf, but good golly, this is difficult.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have an option to visit a feline only clinic? I know my cats are less stressed when I was able to take them to a cat only practice.

Regarding the feline herpes and calicivirus vaccines. Unfortunately, the vaccines do not provide 100% protection but do generally reduce severity of clinical signs of these viruses. I agree that testing is kinda pointless as over 95% of the cat population has been infected by these viruses.

My chronic snuffler cat has responded well to steroids. After suffering for many years, he is now on an inhaled steroid that has greatly increased his quality of life.

Hope you can get your kitty feeling better!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do think you can calm a flare-up rather than simply riding it out. Many people actually use L-Lysine and/or Lactoferrin on a daily basis, and then double the amount during a flare-up.

I wonder, can you put the Colloidal Silver directly on the lesion? I know it won't stay for long, but it might help even for just a minute or two. Also, Manuka honey has great healing qualities. If you could get some of that on there it might help. Again, I'm sure it wouldn't last long, but might be helpful.

Have you thought about using something to help with his stress, something like Rescue Remedy for Pets or other calming products? I use CBD for pets for one of my guys who is a little anxious. I do think it helps somewhat. And I HAVE used Rescue Remedy during some remodeling in the past