Possible Eye Infection of a new stray. Need immediate advice!

cat112233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is not full proof, but can anyone tell me if this looks like an eye infection. There is a cat that I have never seen before that started hanging around my house lastnight. I already have 1 cat I took in, and I dont want him to catch anything. I also dont want this cat to suffer if he maybe sick. Does anyone have any info they can offer me. I posted a picture below. The eyes appear to have dark marks around them and there appears to be a reddish gook that is leaking down towards the nose. Other than that he/she appears to be a beautiful cat who is also very gentle.

Oh, also, does this cat appear to have a tipped ear? I have read about that but never seen it. Thanks so much.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That ear looks tipped to me.  You could try giving him some l-lysine in some wet food for a few days and see if it helps his eye clear up.  Wouldn't hurt, anyway.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Is he friendly? If you can, you should try and get him to an animal shelter. He does look like he needs medical care, and the sooner the better. Thank you for having a heart for cats
and noticing him, so many people would just ignore the poor little guy.

I agree with Mrblanche, the ear looks tipped. He could be a friendly feral, but it might be safer to try and trap him with a special TNR trap. Maybe there's an animal rescue organization where you live that come and get him? If you do take him in yourself, make sure you disinfect the carrier (or use one you won't be using for your cat in the future), get a shower and a change of clothes before touching your own cat. The eyes do look infected, but that can also be a symptom of a more systemic illness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat112233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate your suggestions and info. Thanks.

Last edited: