Possible cause of kitten diarrhea.

Catmom7277

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone!

This is my first post, I have read several post here that all seem to be very helpful and informative. I'm hopeful someone may have some insight to my problem. I have a 6 week old kitten. I took her from my neighbor when she was 2 weeks old. One of the cats in the colony she feeds had her and had stopped caring for the kittens. There were only 3 that survived, I took one and my other neighbor took 2. My daughter and I named her Muffin.❤ Anyways, she has had diarrhea the whole time I have had her. I had her combo tested 2 weeks ago and she was negative. At that time she also got her first dose of dewormer. I told the vet about her diarrhea and her bottom was kinda raw from it so he gave her amoxicillan. Told me it should clear up and if it didnt to bring a stool sample. So 5 days later after it did not clear up the diarrhea I brought him a stool sample. Her bottom is not red anymore thankfully. He had it tested for parasites,giardia, and coccidia (excuse spelling if incorrect)and none of that was present. She has been eating wet kitten food for 2 weeks now. I have given her several doses of benebac. I have tried offering her dry food but she won't eat it. Any ideas that may be causing this? She acts fine and is very energetic. I have been keeping her quarantined from my other 2 cats because of not knowing the cause of this. I'm so ready for this to stop. It worries me that it has been this long and she has never had formed stool. The vet told me to give it a bit longer and if it's not better by next Wendesday he will give her another type of antibiotic. Anyone experienced this before with a kitten or have any tips of what I can do for her or give her to possibly harden up her poo?

Thank you for your time!

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she control it? Or it just comes out whenever? How often does she go? How watery is it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom7277

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Right before she started the amoxicillan there was about a week where she could not control it and was literally just leaking out and very watery. She can control it now and goes in the litter box about 3 times a day. It's like melted chocolate consistency. Sorry I know that's a gross description but that what it's like. Not formed at all but not watery.

Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom7277

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she control it? Or it just comes out whenever? How often does she go? How watery is it?
Right before she started the amoxicillan there was about a week where she could not control it and was literally just leaking out and very watery. She can control it now and goes in the litter box about 3 times a day. It's like melted chocolate consistency. Sorry I know that's a gross description but that what it's like. Not formed at all but not watery.

Thank you.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, well, it "usually" is fine when it has the consistency of soft served ice cream or toothpaste, and is brown. However, your kitten has a history to her that sort of negates this a little.

The vet did say it takes time, and it really does. The only time I ever seen something work right away is when dealing with cases of severe diarrhea, or cases of constipation, everything in between seems to go slow in correcting itself.

I am not too confident in just dumping another antibiotic into her, a "throw and see what sticks" approach. Antibiotics can cause soft stools as well, so can one million other things.

Honestly, if the kitten has not tested positive either through tests or observance, of any disease, blood work fine, etc, I would not even really worry at all about it.

She had any vaccinations? I usually remove my kittens from quarantine three days after the FVRCP vaccine.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Diarrhea — Kitten Lady

There will be some repetitive information here since you have been to the vet and investigated several causes; however, something may be of help. Have you tried canned pumpkin? Plain, not the pumpkin pie type. Probiotics sometimes help, especially if she has been on antibiotics which kill the good intestinal bacteria. You did say that you have used Bene Bac but that it was not helping that much.

Should I Give My Cat Probiotics? – TheCatSite Articles
S. Boulardii is mentioned in the article

From what I can tell from your post, there is improvement. That is good, but stay on top of this as she is very young and has had a rough start. Thank you for rescuing her and welcome to The Cat Site.

The Kitten Lady website in general has a wealth of information about kittens.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be that the food you're feeding doesn't agree with her. What are you feeding? Kitties are often intolerant of chicken and fish.

I would suggest adding saccharomyces boulardii to wet food, just 1/4 capsule (open and sprinkle onto food and mix in) twice a day.