Possible Cat Theft?

firef0x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. So back in March, my cat Charlie went missing. Here's the story:
I've had Charlie for a long time, and she was an outdoor cat. She wore a collar with our address and all on it and was well known throughout some of the neighbourhood. On March 15, I had left school late. As I was walking home, I noticed a car pulling into a driveway that looked like mine, stopping for a few seconds, and then driving off right past me. I got home and Charlie wasn't waiting for me like usual. I tried whistling, calling, and looking everywhere, but she never came. I thought maybe she had gone roaming and slept it off, thinking she would be back. A few hours later, I went back outside only to find her still gone. It struck us that she's now missing. My neighbour said that his friend had come over to cut his hair that day, and that Charlie had wandered over into his garage fo some attention and so his friend read her tags to see where she belonged, brought her over, and rang the doorbell before leaving her on the porch. I wasn't home during any of this. That's the last anyone saw of her. I asked a few people in the neighbourhood, posted everywhere online, searched every website I could find. I posted fliers a few days after she went missing, but we never got any feedback and then someone eventually just ripped them all down. A few weeks ago, I tried putting up more, but after about three days they were just ripped down again. I'm thinking about asking the entire neighbourhood. I just don't know what to do, and I want her back so much.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear Charlie is missing! I'd continue to post flyers everywhere, even if they're taken down. post in local supermarkets and anywhere that has a board to post flyers.

Call local vets and shelters too.. this person may think she was lost and dropped her off at a shelter.

ask your neighbors to look in their sheds and garages, maybe she slipped inside and accidentally got locked in.

Don't give up!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I am so sorry that you are going through this. You are dealing with some suspicious circumstances. Can you borrow a trail/surveillance camera to monitor one or some of your posters being removed? Or if you have a neighbor with a security camera, ask 2 put a sign in their yard? If those options are not available, include a warning on your posters/flyers that anybody caught tampering or removing them "will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, including any and all criminal and civil penalties"- that is probably and empty threat but may scare them off. In my opinion, though, the most helpful thing is to discover who is tampering with your posters - it will be the clue as to who knows something.
Prayers that you get Charlie home soon :vibes::vibes::vibes:

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly it sounds like she was taken by a neighbor. I have a friend who had a very beloved indoor/outdoor cat who disappeared for two years and then on a random trip to a neighbors house discovered that they had taken her! I would suggest if you do get her back making the transition to indoor life so she can't be taken again, but I agree that the little camera sounds like an excellent idea. Whoever is taking them down is most likely the person who took her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firef0x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all! I believe she has been taken by a neighbour as well. My neighbour says that people always came to her when we still had Charlie, asking about her and who she belonged to and that they always fed her, even though she has a collar with our address and everything on it?? She never needed anyone to feed her or care for her because we leave food out for her all day and she had her own giant dog house and had a heating pad throughout winter. Nobody ever checked her collar. Someone did make an attempt a while ago to take her. She was walking around and some lady pulled up in her car and started calling for her before my dad stepped in. I get that people are trying to help, but if the animal has a collar, they should really check the collar first.
The sad part is, she was stolen a week before her vet appointment AND my birthday.
If I do find her and someone took her, I'm scared that all of my proof wouldn't be acceptable because that was going to be our first time taking her to the vet, so if I don't have any records then the chance of me getting her back is lowered, right?

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No not necessarily. If you have lots and lots of pictures and proof of all the posters you made and good neighbors who would vouch for you then that should be plenty. Vet records don't even show pictures of the animal usually so really unless they want the vet themselves to come say "yup that's the cat" then I don't see how it would come into play. You don't even need vet records to get an animal back that accidentally got sent to animal control around here.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haleyds is right! If you don't have pictures, ask your family and friends to email or text or messenger/twitter (anything with a date stanp) describing Charlie. Even if the cops wont get involved, if you get proof of who has Charlie, you can sue them in small claims court. Please keep us posted!