Possible bullying?

Sushismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got our second kitten Lucky Boots last week and after a trip to the vet today we finally let them have some time together. Well our original kitten Sushi seems to possibly be bullying the other kitten maybe? He follows him around and pounces on his back a lot and bites at the others neck and sometimes flips him over and bites at him. I don’t know if it’s playing or if he’s being mean. There’s no hissing or tail lashing or ears back or other signs of him being upset but I’m a bit worried. If it helps Sushi is 15 weeks old and Lucky Boots is probably some where around 8 weeks old.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I guess my first question would be - how does Lucky Boots respond? It truly sounds like it is totally kitten play if LB is reacting OK to it. How big of a difference is there in size? That would be the only thing to worry about. And, if Lucky Boots health isn't back to 100% that could impact the play difference between the two.

I have been around a litter of 6 who were absolutely NUTS! Chasing, tossing another one of them around, even biting - they were completely crazy!! Most of the times, they would then reverse roles. If LB doesn't reverse roles, he just may need more time to adjust or might just be a bit more subdued than Sushi. With 6 kittens being together, there were always ones who would take breaks from the others. So, if it seems like LB needs a break, distract Sushi with play and let LB have a break.

If you are really worried about it, you could video it and share here for more input!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Playing. Kittens never fight each other for real. Remember, cats are predators, so they play by practicing hunting, fighting and defense behaviors. So yep, its going to look offputting until you get used to it. Also, you've got a size difference there, so the little one may occassionally feel uncomfortable, like a human kid getting a head noogie or indian sunburn. The smaller one might run, hide or hiss for a bit. You'll know all is well because the small one will come back in a few minutes and act like nothing happened.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sushismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LB is definitely smaller than than Sushi. They are only like what a month and a half separate in age but LB is like half the size of Sushi. I guess that might be why it seems a little bit rougher.
Lucky Boots has not really tried to initiate play yet but I guess that could be because as soon as Sushi sees him he’s after the little one.
LB does try to go hide but Sushi will follow him and keep trying to go after him. A couple times Lucky Boots has kind of squealed and then run away and Sushi has followed him but I’ve separated them at that point.
Usually if I pull a toy out it distracts both and they will both chase the toy so I might do that more often if it seems to be getting out of hand.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens gain a pound a month on average, so in a couple of months the size difference won't be so dramatic % wise. But you likely won't have to wait nearly that long for play to get more equal. Give it a week, probably less, and the smaller kitten will be initating play at times.

Your doing the right thing. You don't *need* to break things up, and don't view it as your job, but if your available and the smaller one seems to be having a particularly tough time, then distracting gently is a nice thing to do for sure!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Distraction is always a good thing, especially if they both will play together with you! If LB doesn't go into complete 'avoid Sushi' mode, the distraction is your best bet. The thing is to make sure that LB is still willing to hang around in the same area with Sushi despite the 'rough play'.