Possible Bladder Cancer In My Hermione

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really *hope* that my vet is just thinking worst-case-scenario!

Hermione (15 years old) started straining a couple weeks ago. She had a UTI back in the Fall, but nothing since. We put her on orbax for a week, and tested her urine. She had white blood cells and red, a high PH, and crystals. So the vet put her on special urinary diet to help the crystals, and a week of clindamycin for the UTI. Now, after that week, she still has red blood cells in her urine, but no white blood cells (so no infection). But her PH is back to normal. So the vet recommended doing an x-ray to rule out bladder stones. I took her in this afternoon and she has NO bladder stones, but the vet did notice a slight "thickening" in part of her bladder. No tumors at all, and she said it was very slight shading. But, that combined with the continued red blood cells, makes her think cancer. She recommended keeping her on the special diet for a month to keep the PH down, and to test her urine again in a month. Her blood work is perfect.

I also read online that feline interstitial cystitis can also lead to thickened bladder walls-- from inflammation. And that can also be why there are red blood cells with no continuing infection. Anyone have experiences with either?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this.
I hope everything turns out well for your kitty. :(

I also do not have such experience, but I am sure others who have the know-how will come along soon.

Sending my positive vibes and prayers. :vibes:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear about Hermoine's bladder issue. From what little I do know, both cystitis and cancer are possibilities with a cat that has blood in their urine and a thickened bladder wall. An ultrasound might be another test to ask your vet about, to see if it would provide any more conclusive information.

Crystals can form in the bladder and not always cause an infection, but they can cause enough irritation to the bladder wall for thickening to occur. I have read cases where cats with cystitis have a thickened bladder wall, blood in the urinalysis, and yet no infection.

But, I think the vet is on the right track to continue to keep Hermoine's PH down with the specialized food - and, to have a follow up urinalysis/urine culture. If the vet still finds blood in her urine, but no infection, has the vet said what the next step would be to try to discriminate between cystitis and cancer? Would another check of her WBC help? Or, as I mentioned above - an ultrasound?

Please keep us posted.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Feline bladder cancer presents as a distinct mass. Even at a very early stage, it presents as a mass. I had a cat with bladder cancer and this is how it shows.

Based on this, I tend to think that the "thickening" may be more indicative of feline interstitial cystitis, a chronic inflammatory issue.

I would get an ultrasound for a more definitive diagnosis.