Possible Bengal/Tabby mix?

Lizzash1126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey y'all!

I found my boy, Gus, in an engine bay at work a few months ago. He was about 1 1/2 - 2 months old when I brought him home.

Looking at his markings as a baby to him at 6-ish months old now I've been thinking he may have some Bengal in him.

His back feet are huge, and he hasn't quite grown into his ears yet lol.
I've had several other people ask me if he is a Bengal as well, so l am very curious what you all might think before I purchase a DNA kit.

Thank you!! :)

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's adorable, and it's wonderful that you rescued him! :redheartpump:

I lightened up the window picture a little bit to see his pattern better:
20201117_112323.jpg

I would describe Gus as a brown mackerel tabby domestic shorthair. I'm not seeing an indication of Bengal ancestry in these pictures. Because the Bengal breed is very well known at this time, many people see a spot on a cat and they assume the cat is a Bengal or has Bengal ancestry. However, it's actually quite normal for domestic mackerel tabbies to have some of their stripes broken up into spots like this. Most mackerel tabbies do have some spots.

I notice that you also included pictures of his belly... spots on the belly are a normal part of the mackerel and classic tabby patterns, and don't indicate that the cat is a spotted tabby or that they have ancestry from a spotted breed. Belly spots are very cute, though! :)

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would agree that he's not a Bengal but, with the head shape and ears I wonder if maybe there may be some oriental breed ancestry in there some where down the line. He would be considered a Domestic Short Hair without having any papers. Something tells me he's not going to grow into those ears. He's just going to have big cute ears! :lol: Welcome to the site and thanks for taking him in! He looks like a happy camper!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with these above. Just wanted to say, his coloration and body shape arent the most common. If it is depending on some Ancestry, or if is just a whim of nature with its enormous gene pool, I dont know.

Anyway, you both took a high win in the Lottery of Life. :)