Possible Anemia?

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. My mummy cat (now spayed) has developed a paler nose the last few days. All 6 cats have diarrhoea due to a bacterial infection for which they have had antibiotics but it's still lingering. Below is a picture of her tonight. I doubt we will be able To get her tested for anaemia due to our remote Saudi location. So what are your opinions, and if it is anemia, what treatment would you recommend? Thanks. Oh and she is eating and drinking and playing fine.
IMG-20180226-WA0010.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are of her today. Her gums seem pretty normal too.
20180227_120234.jpg
20180227_120234.jpg
20180227_130628.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She looks a bit pinker here. I'm betting that the infection caused the change, and it will slowly go back to normal as she fights off the last of it.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. She has gone whiter in the nose again. They are all back on antibiotics and anti diarrhoea meds again as still no solid poos...

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor babies. Is is still probably the infection, since you are having problems getting it cleared up.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope that is all it is. Any advice on getting rid of this nasty infection? It just won't budge and it must be pretty bad as they are on both antibiotics and kaolin/pectin for the diarrhoea and it's still there!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I did have some idea. I would, however, suggest starting another thread on this forum, something like "Persistent Infection. Country Has Limited Care." We've had this come up before (I canNOT find the threads to save me), and people had all sorts of ideas! They will need to know your location, though, at least generally. "Remote Saudi" isn't exact enough to help you find additional assistance.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So she will now only eat tuna and treats (party mix etc). Her nose is a little pinker now after eating a small can of tuna. We are in a compound just on the outskirts of Rabigh. We don't have a car so can't take them to a vet clinic (the closest is 2 hours away by car) I have a vet who consults by messages and tells me what to do and get for them but without doing blood tests etc it's hard to know. If she is still like this in a week I will have to get my husband to find a car we can borrow to take her to jeddah for tests. It's difficult because he is not an animal person like me and thinks we should interfere less not more so persuading him to go out of his way is difficult. He does care about the cats but has no previous experience with pets.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a very difficult position to be in, isn't it? Give her what she will eat. I wonder if her nose may be a little stuffy, and the scent of the tuna and the treats are the only thing she really smells. If cats can't smell, they don't eat.

If you have to, you can mix the pate type cat food with water and give it with a syringe or eyedropper. Just place the tip of it between her cheek and gums, and push it in SLOWLY, allowing time for her to swallow.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well she has started to eat a little kibble now. She is still quite lethargic and grumpy and her nose whilst it has a little more colour is still very pale. I'm going to give her until Tuesday and if she isn't improving any more by then I will have to try to get her to a vet that can do blood tests or something. My vet out here suggested adding black honey to water for her. Has anyone else heard of this? Will it be safe for her 8mnth old kittens if they get hold of it too? How much do I add to how much water? Thanks

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her temperature is 38.3°Celsius checked with a rectal digital thermometer

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Normal temperature for a cat is 37.7-39.1 Celsius, so THAT, at least, is fine. And the fact that she is nibbling her kibble again is a good sign, as well. As to the honey, a smaller cat should have a teaspoonful a day, larger ones can have up to a tablespoonful. It won't hurt the kittens a bit in smaller amounts. In fact, when we have members who are trying to save orphaned kittens, one of the things we suggest is goat milk with a little honey added to it for energy. AND honey is antibacterial and anti-fungicidal, which doesn't hurt a THING!

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'm pleased to report that her number 2's are normal again now. She is very playful today although getting territorial over kibble and me with the kittens! I've also looked back at photos from since she adopted us (quite literally, she walked in to our home and our hearts from the streets) and it seems she has always had quite a pale nose and several vets have seen her since then. I wonder why they never mentioned it. It seems here vets only go for what you tell them is wrong?

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And now her nose and paw pass etc are a beautiful pink colour!!!
20180304_190220.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH THAT'S WONDERFUL! And I'll bet this is the first time in her life that she is really becoming healthy. I'm so glad that she found you!

I wasn't ignoring you, I was offline for two days...I take Sundays off so I get something accomplished besides internet stuff, and yesterday my server was down!