Possible anemia-Desperately needing support

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anxiousvesper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is an emergency vet if I am following you correctly? Just concentrate on sending good thoughts to Tosie and to keeping yourself calm.
Yes, this is the emergency department of a vet hospital! That’s why I was so shocked that the vet spoke to me as she did. She had called to let me know that the blood transfusion went off without any issues but that since the lab is closed it could be a bit before they get the results of her recent blood test to see if her hematocrit improved.

I was super relieved to hear that the blood transfusion was able to happen at all as the nearest donor for Tosie was at least an hour away, so I was openly excited on the phone and I guess she just felt the need to..put me in my place a bit if that makes sense?

basically told me not to expect a miracle and that they’re weren’t either, that she’s stable for now (she put heavy emphasis on “for now” and repeated it multiple times) and that anything could happen to change that.

so I went from feeling very hopeful and positive to now feeling like something is seriously wrong and they just aren’t telling me

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My experience with ER vets is that they can have a different outlook than your regular vet might...and a different attitude. She does not know you, probably does not want to make any guarantees, and possibly has a much more distanced approach to her patients than a regular vet. If she truly works ER only, she is basically going from crisis to crisis and probably has developed a way of handling that herself. Don't read too much into it and don't dwell on it.

anxiousvesper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My experience with ER vets is that they can have a different outlook than your regular vet might...and a different attitude. She does not know you, probably does not want to make any guarantees, and possibly has a much more distanced approach to her patients than a regular vet. If she truly works ER only, she is basically going from crisis to crisis and probably has developed a way of handling that herself. Don't read too much into it and don't dwell on it.
She’s a rotating vet, so she works in the regular scheduled appointment area of the hospital as well. We actually had her about 2 days ago. She was the one who told us that hospitalizing Tosie was not necessary and that we should take her home.

I do believe she used her best judgement at that time, and I’m sure she is a skilled vet so I don’t think she did it because she didn’t care. But her bedside manner could definitely use some help as she had quite an attitude then too

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with fionasmom fionasmom regarding the ER vet. When all the trouble went down with Sadie, they basically told me to put her down! I brought her home with medicine, and made an appointment that week with my regular vet. While anemia is scary, Tosie can pull through with treatment. Some cats do need a transfusion; unfortunately we did not have an exact match for Sadie so she couldn't get one. But I'm glad the transfusion went well for Tosie!
Hang in there, I know it will be a rough road ahead but Tosie sounds like a champ. I'm pulling for you both!! ❤

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She’s a rotating vet, so she works in the regular scheduled appointment area of the hospital as well. We actually had her about 2 days ago. She was the one who told us that hospitalizing Tosie was not necessary and that we should take her home.

I do believe she used her best judgement at that time, and I’m sure she is a skilled vet so I don’t think she did it because she didn’t care. But her bedside manner could definitely use some help as she had quite an attitude then too
I had a cat get a blood transfusion at an emergency hospital. The vet was very good and kind in her own way, but very much non-emotional and I suppose eventually they have to get to that point to protect themselves. I don't Tosie's vet going a step further and having an attitude was necessary though. When it comes to the owners anxiety and stress during an uncertain and scary time, that attitude is like pouring gasoline on a fire.
I've been reading along in this thread and these anemia cases are so frustrating and so scary. (The only cool thing I remember about my cats case was a technician asked if I'd like to meet my cats donor. It was the tech's personal cat, and she brought her cat out for me to see and I got to pet her and thank her.)

anxiousvesper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat get a blood transfusion at an emergency hospital. The vet was very good and kind in her own way, but very much non-emotional and I suppose eventually they have to get to that point to protect themselves. I don't Tosie's vet going a step further and having an attitude was necessary though. When it comes to the owners anxiety and stress during an uncertain and scary time, that attitude is like pouring gasoline on a fire.
I've been reading along in this thread and these anemia cases are so frustrating and so scary. (The only cool thing I remember about my cats case was a technician asked if I'd like to meet my cats donor. It was the tech's personal cat, and she brought her cat out for me to see and I got to pet her and thank her.)
Oh my goodness. I would have cried if I got to meet my Tosie’s donor. This whole experience has taught me so much about donating blood for cats so once Tosie is feeling better I’ll be having my other cat, Mr. Pippin, signed up to give blood. He’s a stinking HORSE of a cat and is the healthiest little guy I’ve ever seen, so maybe he could help save someone else’s baby in the future

anxiousvesper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HAPPY UPDATE!!:)

My Tosie girl is doing very well! The blood transfusion worked and the vets don’t think she will need a second one. They said that she perked up after and is definitely feeling a lot better. She is stable and will stay the night at the hospital tonight for the required 24h post-transfusion observation period.

She is still on the antibiotics for the FIA as well as cortisol and the vet who spoke to me on the phone said that she will call Monday to discuss their treatment plan for Tosie as well as a time for me to come pick her up.

I’m feeling incredibly relieved to hear them talking about treatment now, rather than throwing out handfuls of diagnostic tests. I feel like we’re finally at a point where the vets think they’ve figured this out!😭

Everyone cross your fingers that my little girl is able to stay stable tonight so that I can bring her home and get her on the road to recovery. She’s one half a bonded pair and her brother is absolutely losing his mind without her here. If she could come home Monday I would probably cry from relief not just for me, but for her and her brother as well❤

anxiousvesper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

Tosie is stable and coming home today at 2pm. Unfortunately, the vets were unable to do the PCR test for FIA because it needed a substantial amount of blood and right when they started prepping for it, her hematocrit crashed which is why she needed the transfusion. Now that she’s had the transfusion, she can’t have the test done either because she has someone else’s blood in her body.

The vets are still treating her for FIA as if she was positive though so they will be sending her home with the antibiotics for it plus the steroids she’s on.

I am under instruction to keep her under very strict observation. I need to take her temperature daily as well as her heart rate and breathing rate 2x a day. If anything goes out of the ranges the vets have sent me, I’ll have to bring her back in.

If her hematocrit hasn’t improved by the end of the week, we will have to bring her in on Friday for a bone marrow biopsy to make sure her bone marrow is working properly, so everyone please send positive thoughts Tosie’s way that she will improve on her current treatment so she won’t have to go through that💔

As for her behavior, Tosie has gotten her personality back!! The vets say she is extremely cuddly and is visibly feeling much better. She is also eating very well which I couldn’t be more thrilled about!!!

She does have a very low-grade fever today, but I’m hoping that it’s just the result of her body working with the antibiotics to kill off the blood parasite. The vets at least, still consider her stable enough to come home so I’m very grateful for that as we are quickly depleting our vet savings and have maxed out her insurance for the year. Luckily her insurance year restarts in late August so we’ll have that money again then, but it does leave a 30 day gap that we’re a bit nervous about.

I will update again in a few hours once my baby is home safe! Thank you everyone for your kindness on this thread, it’s helped me more than I can ever say.

anxiousvesper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby Tosie is home!! We see the vet again on Thursday for a check up and if she’s doing well, we should be able to hold off on doing a bone marrow biopsy.

I can already tell a huge difference in her personality and she’s so much more herself than before. Right now she’s in her stroller grooming herself like a fiend, as she is very offended that she still smells like hospital.

my wife will be picking up her medications from the pharmacy shortly and luckily we only need to give her the anti-nausea pill today since the vets already gave her the antibiotics and steroid today.

I will update you all with her progress but for now I’m gonna spend some time cuddling with my little girl and just take a minute to breathe lol

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My baby Tosie is home!! We see the vet again on Thursday for a check up and if she’s doing well, we should be able to hold off on doing a bone marrow biopsy.

I can already tell a huge difference in her personality and she’s so much more herself than before. Right now she’s in her stroller grooming herself like a fiend, as she is very offended that she still smells like hospital.

my wife will be picking up her medications from the pharmacy shortly and luckily we only need to give her the anti-nausea pill today since the vets already gave her the antibiotics and steroid today.

I will update you all with her progress but for now I’m gonna spend some time cuddling with my little girl and just take a minute to breathe lol
Oh this is great news!!! I'm so happy she's home and feeling GOOD. Now, you can both breathe and get some rest! Prayers that she continues to improve!!

anxiousvesper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She gave me quite a scare just a moment ago but is doing better now. She has some scar tissue in her esophagus from a surgery to fix a birth defect that she had as a kitten a few years ago, so she can’t eat her food without chewing well or it gets stuck a bit.

well turns out the anti-nausea pills REALLY worked because she was scarfing her meal down way too fast. Turns out quite a bit of it had gotten stuck where her esophagus narrows at the scar tissue and, because she was already stressed from the vet, it sent the poor baby into overdrive and she freaked out.

Cue me calling the vet in tears because my baby girl who was JUST perfectly fine was suddenly crying over and over and hiding away from me. Then she regurgitated the food that was stuck and pranced her little self over to the sock drawer and is now fast asleep lol.

I think may have lost about 5 years of my life in the moment. If I wake up with white hair tomorrow we all know why lol.

(also the vet thought that it was just stress from being at the vet, then the loud bus home so she said as long as she doesn’t get a fever and continues to eat and her heart rate and breathing rate are okay, then she is most likely fine)

anxiousvesper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
😍. So precious!!!
I'll join you in the New White Hair club. I'm starting to think my worries for them will kill me some day! 😵💫
It’s somethin’ else isn’t it? Sometimes I catch myself examining them and cataloging their behavior and think “wait…why am I doing this again? They’re just chilling in the window” lol it’s like my brain looks for reasons to freak me out some days.

At least we’ll both probably look super cool with the white hair😅