Possible allergic reaction to peas in kibble

Barbara J.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My otherwise healthy 13 year old male was fed a new kibble (along with wet cat food) and began vomiting several times the same day. He's a voracious eater (on weight reduction diet) so has been getting Avoderm weight reduction wet food plus a "sprinkle" of kibble (Soup for the Soul) on top 2X day. This kibble was new for us - perhaps the culprit. I got vet appointment and she did an exam plus blood panel (it's my cat's vet so she has his history) She found NOTHING - we both felt it could be sensitivity to peas (kibble) However, upon examining wet food, I saw peas listed in those ingredients! Vet suggested I stop feeding any dry and keep him on wet only for now. So far all seems good - no upsets. His stool remained OK. It seems most wet foods include peas!!!! Anyone have suggestions on healthy wet food (no peas)? I avoid carrageenan, by products, corn, wheat. I've learned many high-quality dry foods are loaded with pea ingredients! Ugh! I guess he won't be getting any kibble for some time.
I have no experience with raw foods - my cats are too picky already!!! (I have a 20 year old and a 2 year old - both extremely fussy)
Ideas?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might not be the peas if he's eating a wet food with peas. Some cats have issues with peas. Some don't. The trouble with dry food (besides the dangerous lack of moisture) is there are so many ingredients, it becomes exceedingly difficult to point to one or another as the culprit. There may not be a single culprit but a number of irritating ingredients that maybe don't rise to the level of an allergy.

If your cats are eating well and maintaining their weight on wet food alone, then keep feeding them the wet they are eating. There really is no good argument for dry food except convenience. Even that can be overcome with timed feeders.

If you are intent on switching their wet food, I would introduce a new food slowly, possibly as an extra meal or transitioning only one of their meals over to the new food over the course of a week or longer. I like guest star transitions because you're not doing a radical overhaul of their entire diet. If they have trouble with the guest star meal (and trouble may not show up right away), you can either dial back the ratio of old to new or switch that meal back to what was working without having to transition all their meals forward or back.

The other advantage to having a rotation is strength through diversity. If one is truly irritating, hopefully that is being mitigated by the one that isn't. It also protects you from food shortages and product discontinuations.

Last edited: