Possible 2/mo kitten want love over food?

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am fostering a 7 week old kitten (since she was 4 weeks) singleton. She first came to me a little hissy and nervous. She right away opened up and she's now a purring machine 24/7 who loves cuddles. Climbs on my shoulders and neck. For 2.5 days, she has since stopped eating. Vet finds nothing wrong and gave her an appetite booster (it was her 2nd one). I have 2 personal cats, and 1 and the foster get along really well to the point my cat crys for her. When we got home from the vet, I feed her, ate alittle. I then tried spoon feeding and even hand feeding her which she ate a tad more. I'm starting to think this is behavior. Maybe she's lonely? And she rather have me or my cat with her than eating? Might recommend her being adopted to another cat home. I've tried many flavors and textures of wet food. And always leave a bowl of dry out. She will eat a squeeze up treat just fine and sometimes baby food. I've heard stories about raising singletons,... whinning, no self control, being waaayyyyy too hyper. But have not heard them being "depressed". Advice? She's scheduled to start being adopted next week and I want to make sure I know what to tell potential adopters what to do, since I don't even know what to do

Also I thought about moving her into my room so she won't be lonely but don't want her to become even more attached to my cat.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kitten literally wouldn't eat for 60 hours, thats a huge problem for a kitten that young.

It *is* true that cats (and kittens) can develop rituals involving around feeding time and sometimes humans can get sucked into that, but if you were done weaning and the cat was eating on its own for several weeks, I wouldn't automatically assume that is what happened. What is the exact chronology of what the cat was eating when & how?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She was already weaned when I got her. She was eating just fine till tuesday. She ate pretty good over night. It's 230p and hasnt eaten since

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did the vet check her mouth/teeth/gums - as in teething issues perhaps?

It could also be whisker fatigue. Have you tried feeding her from a paper plate rather than a bowl?

Either of these could be the issue since she like to eat squeeze up and baby food meat, as they would be softer on her gums, and I presume you are not using a bowl for these 'treats'.

Perhaps it is the location of her food bowls? I would try moving them, so they are close to you and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give her what she will eat for now. If she likes baby food, feed that. Was she still on a bottle when you got her 3 weeks ago? She may not be ready to fully wean to wet and dry food yet.

At 7 weeks she is still very much a baby, and having no litter mates or a mom, she feels very needy for attention and reassurance. This is normal.

I do not think it’s depression, and I would not close her up in your room. Let her be with you and the cat she enjoys. She does not sound ready to be adopted yet either. She needs to stay put for now.

S shebaa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
she is all better now. i still dont know what exactly it was. but i tried feeding her with my cats and it help. yesterday, i fed her, she refused, bought in my mentors (the cats), she then ate. i would keep her till i can find the perfect home but the shelter is gonna ask for her back since shes now 8 weeks. i have a few days left to find her a home before she goes back and she will go to first come first serve person unless i can convience them she needs a special someone, with another kitty home

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not give her to the first person who comes along. Let the shelter check out adopters, and tell them she needs to be with another cat or kitten to thrive.