Portifoy's Bladder Issue

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there. So my approximately 6 yr old cat, Portifoy, has a history of blood in his urine, and IBD. He's currently undergoing treatment for ulcerative dermatitis with Prednisone and two Convenia injections
His last blood work up and urinalysis came back clean. However, he has now started urinating standing straight up, and he's urinating less. His drinking habits have changed too though - he's actually drinking far less than his usual chugging water self.
Could an infection have developed, even with the Convenia, within a couple weeks?It started like a switch went off. His vet scheduled him for an appointment but it's days out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! There could be other causes, but if a urine culture was not performed (in addition to the urinalysis), then the Covenia injection might not be the appropriate antibiotic treatment for his specific infection.

Last year Feeby had a UTI that was treated with Covenia; while it helped, she never quite got over the UTI. Once a urine culture was done (which looks for sensitivities to certain antibiotics), it was determined her infection required a different antibiotic. We gave her Orbax and that resolved the UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Still trying to gather a urine sample to bring to the vet. He's been curled up in his cleaned out, empty litter box. He is having a time getting on his butt though - it makes him uncomfortable and he'll only go down etc on his side. Hopefully his vet is open, because I'm calling them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, definitely call the vet and I hope they are open and can take a look at him. The standing up to pee and now not wanting to sit down on his butt at all sounds like he could be in pain.

Please keep us posted.

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No vet is open by me. I may try an E vet, so at least I am not leaving him in any pain etc. I just wish the vet that knows him was ppen.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry your vet isn't open - seems to always work that way when one of our babies is not feeling well.

Is he still eating OK? If so, try also adding some tuna water from a can of tuna to his water and see if that might encourage him to drink some. If need be, you can use a small syringe and squeeze a bit of water into the side of his cheek (a little at one time, so he doesn't choke) and repeat multiple times a day, if he will allow you.

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's eating fine. A little slower etc. His cone for the ulcerative dermatitis makes it hard on him. This urine issue came before his cone, so I know it's not due to that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What kind of cone are you using - the standard hard plastic one? If so, run out to PetSmart, or other pet stores, and get an inflatable collar. They are much more comfortable and much less restrictive for eating purposes. Anything to help make him feel a bit better...

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of cone are you using - the standard hard plastic one? If so, run out to PetSmart, or other pet stores, and get an inflatable collar. They are much more comfortable and much less restrictive for eating purposes. Anything to help make him feel a bit better...
It's a fabric and velcro cone. He pops the inflatable ones, lol

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He ripped off the cone very suddenly when I went to use the bathroom. He also scratched back open all his healing woounds and then some. He urinated in his same standing stance but also pooped, so that's contaminated now (his sample). His poop is a charcoal, grey smokey color. His vet just emailed me back.

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's still at the vet. Yesterday seemed to be a day of emergencies all around! He'll need some suturing,/stitches done. Couldn't get the cone back on - he reacted heavily. He's a high strung kitty right now.

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, after all that, no stitches needed after all. There is s bacterial infection in his ulcers. So he's pn medication for that, plus his Prednisolone meds and iodine swabs. His urine came back normal. So, now they want to repeat bloodwork and complete X rays.

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for updating us! Poor baby. Keep us posted on Portifoy's progress (:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:)!
Portifoy has to go for new bloodworkand abdominal/chest X rays. He's knocking over his water container and essentially living in his litter box