Pork?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here feed Pork to their kitties? Any issues? I know there is some controversies around this meat.... So I am looking for thoughts behind it as this might be my next try for the kids from Hare today:

Whole pork including organs,[heart, liver, and kidney] and bones.
Pork is higher in fat and can help keep or put weight on those not so easy keepers.

Fine Ground

This food is low in Sodium. It is also a good source of Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Phosphorus and Zinc, and a very good source of Protein, Thiamin and Selenium.
Their meats are supper, and their price $2.99/lb unbeatable, really...... So..... Thoughts?

Is raw pork safe? Or should I skip it? I think my kids would LOVE this meat, judging how much they love lamb... It would also counter interact the lean Turkey and chicken..... that are suck low low calorie.....

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AC feeds pork in the rotation. You might want to take a look at her rotation schedule again.

The only real controversy, I think, is T. gondii and potential for trichinosis, because pork, over the other meats, has higher reported rates of incidence. But I posted FDA information to a thread recently - I'll see if I can find it. Between 2000 and 2007, it turned out there were 5 actual reports of trichinosis in store bought pork in the U.S. And the T. gondii reports were also very, very low. So IMO, not much of a risk, and I plan on feeding it. :nod:

Let me see if I can find the info for you.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed pork regularly, actually that is what all the farm cats ate last night!  The love it

In the USA, Australia, Canada, and the UK you can feed fresh pork from a government approved source. Pork has been safe in Australia forever, and for at least a decade in both the UK and USA. However, if you are not sure of where the pig was raised and/or are living in some EU countries, then you want to freeze the meat for three weeks prior to feeding. Information to the contrary of this is old data and/or scare tactics. Trichinosis is not a thing you need to worry about if you live in the countries listed above.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Found it: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/240619/commercial-raw-vs-homemade-raw#post_3167389

LDG said:
OK - here's the information on Trichinosis: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5809a1.htm

Results: During 2002--2007, a total of 66 cases of trichinellosis were reported to CDC. Those cases for which a supplementary case report form was not submitted or that did not meet the case definition were excluded from analysis. Of the 66 cases reported during 2002--2007, a total of 12 (18%) cases were excluded from analysis.

Associated meat products were classified as either pork or meat products other than pork and were identified for 43 (80%) cases. Meat products other than pork were associated with 27 (50%) cases: 21 with bear meat, one with either bear or deer meat, one with cougar meat, one with deer meat, one with walrus or seal meat, and two with commercial beef. Pork was associated with 10 (19%) cases: seven with commercial pork, two with noncommercial pork, and one with an unspecified type of pork. Of the seven cases associated with consumption of commercial pork, five were linked to U.S. commercial pork, and two were attributed to pork ingested during travel in Asia. The two cases associated with noncommercial pork were attributed to wild boar meat; one case involved wild boar meat from a farm and the other wild boar meat from a farmers' market. Six patients reported consuming both pork and meat products other than pork, but the infected meat product could not be identified.

Interpretation: The number of reported trichinellosis cases attributed to commercial pork consumption remains low. The greatest number of cases continues to be associated with consumption of meat other than pork, especially bear meat.

Doesn't seem like something that really needs to be worried about. Only 66 cases in total during 2002 - 2007; only 5 from commercial pork in the U.S.

The other info: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/240619/commercial-raw-vs-homemade-raw#post_3167392

LDG said:
Here is information on T. gondii:

From Cornell: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/toxo.html

How will toxoplasmosis affect my cat?

Most cats infected with T. gondii will not show any symptoms. Occasionally, however, clinical disease-toxoplasmosis-occurs. When disease does occur, it may develop when the cat's immune response is not adequate to stop the spread of tachyzoite forms. The disease is more likely to occur in cats with suppressed immune systems, including young kittens and cats with feline leukemia virus (FELV) or feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV).

The most common symptoms of toxoplasmosis include fever, loss of appetite, and lethargy...

And prevalence in our meat in the US: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16419752

The prevalence of viable Toxoplasma gondii was determined in 6,282 samples (2,094 each of beef, chicken, and pork) obtained from 698 retail meat stores from 28 major geographic areas of the United States. Each sample consisted of a minimum of 1 kg of meat purchased from the retail meat case. To detect viable T. gondii, meat samples were fed to T. gondii-free cats and feces of cats were examined for oocyst shedding...None of the cats fed chicken or beef samples shed oocysts. Overall, the prevalence of viable T. gondii in retail meat was very low.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap: Yeyeyeyeyey Thank you for the reassurance!!! Sounds like they will have some in their menu some time soon! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can tell you that my cat's went absolutely bonker's for Bravo's Pork :nod:... Might consider using that in rotation - might actually get them looking forward to their raw meals :think: That was the protein that got Presley growling :lol3: I used it last Fall for Wilbur - and found out that the cats were almost fighting the dog for the Pork.

p.s. Love the pig jumping in the mud, Carolina :bigmouth:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can tell you that my cat's went absolutely bonker's for Bravo's Pork :nod:... Might consider using that in rotation - might actually get them looking forward to their raw meals :think: That was the protein that got Presley growling :lol3: I used it last Fall for Wilbur - and found out that the cats were almost fighting the dog for the Pork.
p.s. Love the pig jumping in the mud, Carolina :bigmouth:
:clap::clap::clap: Even more excited about it now :clap::clap::clap::clap:

About the little ..... So sad.... :sniffle: I was looking for an emoticon to place it here.... but they were all so cute! It broke my heart to think my babies were going to have it for dinner :flail:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap: Even more excited about it now :clap::clap::clap::clap:
About the little ..... So sad.... :sniffle: I was looking for an emoticon to place it here.... but they were all so cute! It broke my heart to think my babies were going to have it for dinner :flail:
:flail: They are soo darn cute - arn't they !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I fed Ritz raw pork, meat only, no organs (mainly because I've never seen pork liver/non organ meat).  She likes it.  Rabbit is her favorite, a very lean meat, which balances the pork.

Any one know if Pork is low in taurine?

Thanks.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found this ( http://www.oocities.org/holisticat/taurine_arch1.html  ):

The Values are in mg/kg as fed raw (cooked in parentheses)

Beef Muscle 362 (60)

Beef Liver 192

Beef Kidney 225

Lamb Muscle 473 (126)

Pork Muscle 496 (118)

Chicken Muscle 337 (82)
I fed Ritz raw pork, meat only, no organs (mainly because I've never seen pork liver/non organ meat).  She likes it.  Rabbit is her favorite, a very lean meat, which balances the pork.

Any one know if Pork is low in taurine?

Thanks.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes it is, I didn't know that either!

http://www.wildkittycatfood.com/taurine.htm  has much more info:
ITEMRAW MEANRAW
RANGE
BAKED MEANBAKED
RANGE
BOILED MEANBOILED
RANGE
Beef Muscle362150-47213396-1256058-63
Beef Liver192144-27014168-1847336-95
Beef Kidney225180-247138130-1447668-88
Lamb Muscle473446-510257220-28412691-184
Lamb Kidney239128-44015481-2905147-55
Pork Muscle496394-690219126-39011891-184
Pork Liver169110-2288570-1004330-54
Chicken Muscle337300-380229140-3108271-180
Cod Fish314233-396294260-328161125-198
Oysters698390-1238264217-3088959-122
Clams24001450-37001017587-1700446264-794

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pork is fine to feed, my cat can't handle it and one of my ferrets has loose stools on it so I don't feed it to them but my dog eats pork at least one day a week.  In countries other than the US trich can still be an issue but here it is really not anymore. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. Looks like taurine/pork isn't an issue.

But wow, Clams, who would have thunk it.  (Not that I recommend feeding fish.....)

I'll bookmark those sites.  Thanks for the links.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pork is the absolute favorite of all of mine!

Trichinellosis *used* to be a big problem with pork in the US. That's why we used to be told to always throughly cook pork. A program was implemented in the US to address the problem and has resulted in almost eliminating Trichinellosis from the US food chain, as Laurie's links show.

Last edited:

ambermay

I hold your heart close to my chest.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here feed Pork to their kitties? Any issues? I know there is some controversies around this meat.... So I am looking for thoughts behind it as this might be my next try for the kids from Hare today:
Whole pork including organs,[heart, liver, and kidney] and bones.
Pork is higher in fat and can help keep or put weight on those not so easy keepers.
Fine Ground
This food is low in Sodium. It is also a good source of Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Phosphorus and Zinc, and a very good source of Protein, Thiamin and Selenium.
Their meats are supper, and their price $2.99/lb unbeatable, really...... So..... Thoughts?
Is raw pork safe? Or should I skip it? I think my kids would LOVE this meat, judging how much they love lamb... It would also counter interact the lean Turkey and chicken..... that are suck low low calorie.....
No proportions known to me, but I read on a web that pork is not exactly a food for cats.

But, who knows?  The vitamins and minerals in pork might be very beneficial to some cats at some times.

I read somewhere that raw pork is not a good food for cats, but occasionally I give mine some (like once a two months or so, being raw before I cook that for us).

Yet May and Janie love to have some of our cooked pork chops we eat and they get a little of it about  twice a month (not as a food, but more like a treat by the amount).

Just make sure that that pork is not spiced at all.

When we have our pork chops - we put just so very little salt on them and no other spices.  Kitties who want it get the middle of that from my meal - that which has hardly any salt ever.

I had no negative effects on my cats eating some pork once in a while.  But not all of them would eat pork.  Most of my cats just ignore pork meat.

Beef, chicken, turkey and lamb-based RAW meats are their favorites and they are said to be the best for cats.  Well, sometimes some ostrich stakes cut-up too.

Basically the meat I feed them is as closest to a prey they would catch in a wild, being a bird-like meat (chicken and like), and being rat-mice like meat (beef, lamb and like).

And those are more or less of their choice too.

KundaliniYogi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we have been giving our 10-year old flame-point Siamese cat, Yuki, a mixture of Rad Cat pork and Taste of the Wild, a grain free kibble with 42% protein. All has been well until this weekend, when he began puking and having foul-smelling bright red & green diarrhea. The vet said that she doesn't recommend feeding raw pork, despite assurances from our neighborhood pet shop workers that there is no problem feeding raw pork. The pork, just like that sold for human consumption, contains visible worms. I was under the impression, then, that a cat can eat up the worms and spit out the germs, as it were. The vet cautioned us about not just trichinella, but muscular and other parasites. He really, really LOVES pork - but it looks like chicken and turkey, possibly lamb are safer? Thanks,
-Yogi