Pork Loin

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took a pork loin out of the freezer the other day to thaw in the fridge. It weighs a little over 8 pounds. A full loin and it needs to be used.

I'm thinking about cutting it into three nice pieces:
  • Roll and stuff one piece, roast it and have it with mashed potatoes and gravy; I could do that in the Foodi Grill. Thinking about that for Sunday dinner.
  • Make sweet & sour pork with the second piece; it's been a while since we had that and Rick always enjoys it over fried brown rice
  • Make pork carnitas with the third piece; I might be able to do that in the crock pot
I can always freeze the sweet & sour pork and even the pork carnitas to have later on days when we're busy.

What would you make with a pork loin?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with dividing it up. One piece I would make into a Porchetta by slicing so it lays out flat, sprinkle with fennel, garlic and pepper, roll it back up and slowly cook it in white wine. Makes wonderful flavorful sandwiches. I think the stuffed pork along with the mashed potatoes and some gravy would make great TV dinners. And the rest I would roast as then shred and bag so it could be used in Mexican dishes, casseroles or even some barbecue sauce pork sandwiches

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a pork loin out of the freezer the other day to thaw in the fridge. It weighs a little over 8 pounds. A full loin and it needs to be used.

I'm thinking about cutting it into three nice pieces:
  • Roll and stuff one piece, roast it and have it with mashed potatoes and gravy; I could do that in the Foodi Grill. Thinking about that for Sunday dinner.
  • Make sweet & sour pork with the second piece; it's been a while since we had that and Rick always enjoys it over fried brown rice
  • Make pork carnitas with the third piece; I might be able to do that in the crock pot
I can always freeze the sweet & sour pork and even the pork carnitas to have later on days when we're busy.

What would you make with a pork loin?
Where are you?

I can book a quick flight . . . . .

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always buy the whole loins when they run them for $1.49/lb. or thereabouts,and I usually buy 2 or 3.One I always cut up into chops,and then I can always thaw and pound out and make tenderloins or roll and stuff with something and tie and braise...lots of options.The second one I usually cut into 3 roasts.With leftover roast pork,I usually figure we're going to have hot roast pork sandwiches and for sure we'll have Cubans,and sometimes I simmer some of it in chicken broth till it falls apart,add bbq sauce and treat it like pulled pork.I just freeze the third loin whole and figure out what to do with it at some point later.I make a casserole with cubes of roast pork,a can of cream of mushroom soup,sour cream,some sautéed onions and fresh mushrooms,put some buttered crumbs on top and either nuke or bake til bubbly.Hope this helps ya some!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny I picked up a small pork loin the other day and made carnitas. They were so yummy!