Pork feeders ... need some advice

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can't get Turkey and almost out. Bought some boneless pork today. Never fed pork before but I'm running out of options here. Worried about his tummy as well as whether he'll eat it. But it should be a novel protein for him. (He cannot eat chicken). I only have about 1 weeks worth of turkey for him so I'm crunched for time if I'm going to try and introduce the pork "slowly".

For those of you who feed pork, do you cook it at all? I surface cook the turkey thighs but it's basically fed raw. Thinking about just doing the same with the pork?

What do y'all do?

Thanks

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't cook it either. I bought chicken thighs (barely...they were almost out) and pork yesterday. The pork I usually buy was gone, so I bought a combo of a very low-fat loin and some cut of pork that had a lot more marbling (fat) and ground the two together. When I first gave it to my three, Iris wouldn't eat it but the other two would. Now they all eat it, and in fact, seem to like it better than turkey. I'm using EZ Complete with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Alnutrin. Gonna prep the pork today or tomorrow. He's so picky that I don't have a great feeling about him eating it but we'll see how it goes. I got about 4.5 lbs of some lean pork chops. 2 packages, they were buy one get one free. Only going to try one pack for now, the other is in the freezer. If he won't eat it, we'll eat the other pack later.

Thanks for the input.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't cook any of my meats.

Pork is one of the staples in our rotation, I feed it with kidney (and egg, which goes into everything).
Pork is similar to fowl in the sense that there is light and dark cuts. Chops, if I recall, are "white" meat. Which means they will have less taurine and some other nutrients, so definitely supplement. Pork can also be a bit fatty, which may give them gas or soft stools.
I tend to get the big "rump roast" packages at Costco, so the meat is more on the dark side of things, and since I add kidney and egg, I'm pretty confident in the balance.

I hope this works out for you! Pork can be an economical addition to your menu.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't cook any of my meats.

Pork is one of the staples in our rotation, I feed it with kidney (and egg, which goes into everything).
Pork is similar to fowl in the sense that there is light and dark cuts. Chops, if I recall, are "white" meat. Which means they will have less taurine and some other nutrients, so definitely supplement. Pork can also be a bit fatty, which may give them gas or soft stools.
I tend to get the big "rump roast" packages at Costco, so the meat is more on the dark side of things, and since I add kidney and egg, I'm pretty confident in the balance.

I hope this works out for you! Pork can be an economical addition to your menu.
yes, the chops were very light meat. I ground it up and prepared it on friday. The pork was a hit with his palate but 2 minutes later it all came back up. Totally my fault. I intended just to give him a taste test but he liked it so much that i ended up letting him eat an estimated 40 calories. He scarfed it too ... and then barfed it. My bad.

Anyway, yesterday we tried again mixing 25% pork in with his turkey. He enjoyed that more than the turkey alone and nothing came back up. watching his poops now and will continue to introduce the pork slowly.

I prepared about 3 lbs. of turkey from drumsticks yesterday. So, atleast we are ok for a little while. Hopefully the pork will work out as that will buy us a little more time to, hopefully be able to get some meat in the freezer for the old boy.

Thanks for the replies folks.

mannie3moon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd say it's worth a shot. Pork is one of my cat's favorite proteins. I don't cook it or any of the raw mixes that I make for her (but she demands organic). From what I hear, pork raised and butchered in the US is safe enough to feed raw to pets.