Popcorn Eaters?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found that my cats love popcorn. Is there anything wrong with giving them a kernel or two of dry popcorn once in a while as a treat?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My first cat (Tawny - RIP) LOVED popcorn! As a single working person, there were many a night I would eat popcorn while watching TV, sometimes for my dinner - LOL. And, guess who showed up every time?!?! He jumped right up on the couch and 'watched' TV with me, and would eat more than just a popped kernel or two! He passed away from FIP at 15 yo, so I don't think the popcorn hurt him one bit!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess it it was popped at home (stove top or air popper with kernels) without any oils or flavorings / additions, a single piece or two would be ok. There are stove top recipes to pop kernels without oil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of popcorn popped dry in a paper bag in the microwave.

Never thought of popcorn for cats, but I went to visit some friends a few hours' drive away. They gave me some air-popped popcorn to eat on the way back which didn't get eaten. I tried some on the cats when I got home and they really liked it. Don't usually eat popcorn much, but I might save a little bit for a treat if the cats like it and it's not especially bad for them. Everything in moderation!

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just be sure to make sure there is no added salt, as that can really cause damage 😊

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried giving my cats popcorn but I make sure the pieces I give them don’t have big pieces of the un popped kernel. Lol. I wouldn’t want them to choke…guess I’m a “what if” person and don’t like to take chances….try to treat my kitties like my little children

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There are popcorns with a smaller hull which means when it's popped the hull breaks up into smaller pieces. You may want to look into something like this if your cat enjoys popcorn as a special snack.