Pop-up Ads On Smartphone Browsing

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all, it's me again.
I think there's something wrong in the code of the site (am I using the right words? I'm not a webmaster or a software developer).
In the last couple of weeks whenever I browse the forums on my smartphone I get pop-up messages or banners that ask me to join some kind of service or that I have won something.
There's alway the usual big X to close that pop-up window but this, inevitably, rather than closing, opens a new page where the risk is that any move I make I would end up paying for something.
Last week I had to call my provider to have an expense cancelled and refunded. I have put blocks to any kind of sellers or ads, but these hideous things go through that filter.
All pop-up windows send to pages in Italian (where I live) so don't know whether you cold have access to this trouble and find its solution.
It doesn't happen on PC.
Thanks! :)

EDIT: Mobile phone: Huawei P10 Plus, Android 7.0, browser: Chrome
It doesn't happen with other forum.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you for reporting this. We do not serve any pop-ups on the site, on either desktop or mobile versions. Can you check your Chrome extensions? I wonder if maybe something got added there that triggers this. Also, just in case, if you can get a screenshot and post it here, I will pass this along to our Ad Director to see. I really don't think this is coming from TCS though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you check your Chrome extensions? I wonder if maybe something got added there that triggers this.
I hope I am able/trained to do that? :)

Also, just in case, if you can get a screenshot and post it here, I will pass this along to our Ad Director to see. I really don't think this is coming from TCS though.
I am sure they're not coming from you, but somehow they crawled in.
I will try to take sreenshots of them when/if it happens again, though my first thought is to close quickly all windows before they do any damage!!!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I hope I am able/trained to do that? :)
I think you can only do that from your desktop computer, not the phone. Go to your laptop/desktop and start Chrome. Make sure you're logged in (by accessing your Gmail or a similar Google service). Then type in this -
chrome://extensions/

It should bring up a list of your current Chrome extensions. Check them to see if anything looks unfamiliar and delete any rogue ones.

I would also consider running a virus cleanup. I'm not an expert on the topic but have found this on Google - How to Remove a Virus from Android Without a Factory Reset

If you have local android forums in Italian, maybe ask there as well. I'm not in the US either and I usually get help from locals on such matters, as sometimes it's a local version of the operation system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm attaching three screenshots of what happened about two hours ago. The third ad (Nissan Car) forced me to close the browser because there was no way to get rid of that page.

Screenshot_20171031-101258.png Screenshot_20171031-101333.png Screenshot_20171031-101412.png

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thanks for the screenshot - this has to be very annoying indeed! I passed this along to our Ads Director, just in case. I'll let you know what he thinks.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I do not like Chrome for that reason . Also it uses a lot of data . ( you must turn on data saver )
Try Opera Mini browser . It's free and blocks pop-ups.
Hope this helps ! :hellocomputer: