Pop-top Cat Food Cans

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this belongs in cat health or cat nutrition. There was a thread several years ago about a study that suggested a correlation to pop-top cat food cans and hyperthyroidism. Bertha is 11 years old and has just been diagnosed. She is now on 5 mg methazole twice a day. We have a younger cat (5 years old) who gets the same food Bertha does. I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything else in recent years about pop-top cans and hyperthyroidism. Has the link been proved or disproved? I wouldn't mind putting them both on raw diet with kibble for nighttime snacks. It may be too late for Bertha, but perhaps I can spare Albert the same fate. I'm love to hear your thoughts! Thank you :-)

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never heard of that before, so just Googled, and see there's been some studies done, and now I'm a bit concerned as my Ruby girl eats mostly canned food.

Hopefully some other members will reply, who may know more about the connection between pop-top cat food cans and hyperthyroidism.

Good luck with your Bertha. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may be the BPA lining of cans that is causing hyperthyroidism and other health issues. Here's an article, also attached:

(PDF) BPA in canned petfood

Many pet food companies are using BPA-free cans now. The label will typically note if the can is BPA-free. If you're unsure, call the pet food manufacturer.

TCS threads on BPA in cans:

Which Brands Are Bpa-free?
Bpa In Canned Foods?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone, for your feedback. Reading your threads makes me think that I don't have to go to a raw food diet after all. I can just buy food in pouches instead and bypass the BPA/BPS problem altogether.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I began in 2010 using pop top Wellness cans. Then in spring 2012 cat got Hyperthyoidism. Maybe a connection, dont know as no one ever linked or said it directly. Hmm.