Pop tabs

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For one of my classes I have to collect a quart baggie full of pop/beer tabs. I get points each semester for a full quart baggie. This is hard since it takes so very many tabs to fill a quart baggie. (and I need to do it 4 times!) If any of you drink alot of pop or beer with tabs and want to save them for me, please let me know. It is for my Business Professionals class (which I have to take 4 semesters) and they donate these tabs to the Ronald McDonald house...so it is going for a good cause. I would pay for the shipping charges if you want to save them for me...please e-mail me or PM me.
Thanks!

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are these the old style pop tops that we used to make necklaces out of? Or the new fangled things that normally stay on the can?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Umm...I think they are just the normal, everyday pop tabs...

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Debby

For one of my classes I have to collect a quart baggie full of pop/beer tabs. I get points each semester for a full quart baggie. This is hard since it takes so very many tabs to fill a quart baggie. (and I need to do it 4 times!) If any of you drink alot of pop or beer with tabs and want to save them for me, please let me know. It is for my Business Professionals class (which I have to take 4 semesters) and they donate these tabs to the Ronald McDonald house...so it is going for a good cause. I would pay for the shipping charges if you want to save them for me...please e-mail me or PM me.
Thanks!
i have a whole lot of them Pm me and I will get to you ASAP!

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you should check this site out:
http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp

It is about collecting the ring tab. McDonald's Pop tab collection program was a response to earlier hoaxes that company pay top dollar for the tabs. Tabs dropped off at various McDonald's are taken to a local recycling company, and the money made from selling them for their scrap value is given to the local Ronald McDonald House to help defray operating costs.

But since top dollar is not paid, this is what they get
Ronald McDonald House gets only 40 cents a pound for them (or $474 per million tabs
http://www.rmhc.com/kids/poptab_collection/index.html

What this means is that it might be more cost effective to simply donate money rather than ship the tabs across. If this is the same program you business class is talking about maybe you could make a proposal to the class to change the donation method, and maybe getting extra marks too! Instead of going out of the way to get tabs use that money directly for the charity purpose. After all, business is all about being cost effective, profit maximisation and cost cutting right?