Poor Luna Scratching Her Neck Raw

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have two cats, one of them is Luna (the darker one in my profile picture).

She has been scrathcing her neck raw, I had to inject her with cortisone so she would heal (about 5weeks ago)

I have changed her food (for 4 weeks) to discard food allergies, I was told to try at least 8 weeks so I have ordered some more and will try Instinc LID Rabbit (they hate turkey flavor), even though I doubt it is the food.

I am also trying Zyrtec (Cetirizine), I crush it and give it in some tuna water 5mg a day, I thought it was working but now she is starting to scratch again, don't know what to do.

I give them flea med (Advantage II) every month, even bought some Omega oils that are aborbed through her skin to help her. But nothing seems to work.

Now that she is starting to scratch again I am thinking cyclosporine or maybe some other meds, or up the cetirizine.

Please help, the vets where I live don't know much about skin allergies, I was the one to actually suggest cetirizine to them instead of them to me.

Thanks in advance

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you got a picture? Could it be that she’s really scratching her ears a lot which is damaging the skin on her neck? Which could be ear mites.
I don’t know if you have it there but mebo cream from a pharmacy works wonders on wounds and is safe to use on cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lauren thanks for the reply, I have no pictures because she has healed with the steroid injection, but now that she is starting up again I need to stop her befaure she damages herself. I don't think it is earmites, because she also damages her tummy (she gets like burns from licking herself too much)

I had never heard of mebo I will see if I can get it or an equivalent. I just hope I can stop the scrathing before I need it. Any other ideas?

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe it’s a reaction to the flea medication? Or a behavioural problem? I had a cat with anxiety who use to pull her hair out when she was anxious, which I initially had thought she had a skin problem. Maybe there is an article in this site somewhere that might be useful. I don’t know too much about it sorry I just know when mine had ear mites he got sores from scratching. You can check this link out too, it’s not the best source obviously but maybe it will help Cats and Compulsive Scratching, Licking, and Chewing

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, yes I thought it might be stress so I ordered some feliway it is getting here this week, also I am still on cetirizine, if that doesn't stop her I will try claritin, or cyclosporyne (Atopica)

Hope something works