Poor little Emily, PTS by accident

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

That's even sadder if double checking is the standard, but wasn't done because she was black
Was this person pulled in the office about it, because they should have been to make sure it doesn't happen again...... Very lazy IMO if it was "assuming"

Play happily at the bridge Emily

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Was this person pulled in the office about it, because they should have been to make sure it doesn't happen again...... Very lazy IMO if it was "assuming"

Play happily at the bridge Emily

I have to agree. As someone with six black cats, knowing that "thinning" them out is such a common practice that it is never even checked or questioned bothers me more than someone making a mistake. Yes, I know they're not adoptable, but for a shelter worker to accept that consequence without question is disturbing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to say it upset me, too, but the original error was made by a volunteer, apparently. Not everyone cares about cats as much as we do; a number of our volunteers are court cases doing court-assigned public service, and many of the rest are high-school students doing required volunteer service. (And we won't even discuss what you call it when you require people to do work for no pay.)

I'm unhappy with the girl who does the euthanasia, but I have never been on "close" terms with her, and she certainly has my sympathy; imagine coming to work every day knowing you are going to have to kill perfectly good animals that day.

But the shelter director is on vacation. When the assistant director discovered the error, she was very angry. She had personally arranged for the spay to improve Emily's chances. So yes, I imagine there were repercussions, but that's none of my business.

As it is, we have about 4 black cats right now, so I hope the incident will tighten up policies.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers and vibes that miracles happen for the remaining black kitties
I shudder to think of what might have happened to my Cinders & to my Toddles, if they'd wound up in a shelter

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a sad thread
Is the other cat going to be PTS? Such a sad situation for so many people. I can't even imagine...

RIP, little girl.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

a number of our volunteers are court cases doing court-assigned public service, and many of the rest are high-school students doing required volunteer service.
That's so wrong!. They need people who can show compassion towards an animal, and especially ones who know what their doing

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Unfortunately, in larger shelters this is all too common.
Which is why some of them have collars with names/ID numbers written on them.

Poor girl - play happily over the Rainbow Bridge.
Exactly. At the shelter I used to work at, everything that came through the doors got a disposable collar and we'd put their ID info on it. Before we put anything down, we always had to match the collar to the cage cards. It really help cut down on accidents.

Those disposable collars are super cheap. Maybe you could suggest your shelter get some and make sure all pets are matched to their cards so in the future accidents like that don't occur. http://www.tabband.com/item.asp?iid=16

I'm sorry about sweet little Emily.
Play happily over the Rainbow Bridge little one

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

That's so wrong!. They need people who can show compassion towards an animal, and especially ones who know what their doing
I agree. I've tried to teach some of the high school students how to handle cats; most have no idea.

They just think this is an easy way to get in their volunteer time.

Personally, I would require every one of them to assist at a few euthanasias. Can you imagine the effect that would have on their attitudes toward spay/neuter, keeping their cats/dogs under control, etc? If the purpose of the volunteer work is to help in education, that would be one way to get there, in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure the originally intended cat was euthanized, too, but I don't know who it was. Just because the mistake was made didn't make the other cat any more adoptable, which was the original problem.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I agree. I've tried to teach some of the high school students how to handle cats; most have no idea.

They just think this is an easy way to get in their volunteer time.
Gosh, if the volunteers are going to care so little and be this irresponsible, I'd rather throw them out of the shelter and give them their volunteer time for free than allow them to go anywhere near the precious cats. This was a sad sad mistake, I'm glad it seems your Assistant Director is going to want to do something about the processes...

Rest in Peace, sweet Emily. Your needless death will hopefully reduce the number of such sad accidents in future

tomcat38134

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Gosh, if the volunteers are going to care so little and be this irresponsible, I'd rather throw them out of the shelter and give them their volunteer time for free than allow them to go anywhere near the precious cats. This was a sad sad mistake, I'm glad it seems your Assistant Director is going to want to do something about the processes...

Rest in Peace, sweet Emily. Your needless death will hopefully reduce the number of such sad accidents in future
I remember when I lived in Memphis reading about a shelter worker who administered the wrong dosage to a litter of kittens that resulted in them having to be put down. This is appalling, they should not let anyone off the street with NO EXPERIENCE apparantly, be able to administer meds!!! I still get sick thinking about those babies being rescued then KILLED by a worker!

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cannot believe this. Ideally the other cat should not be put to sleep. Be happy, Little Emily, you are now being loved.

tomcat38134

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I just never thought anything other than the fact that these employees, volunteers,etc.. were trained appropriately. Does anyone know what the requirements/training is for shelters and for that matter vets themselves (the technicians, etc..)?
I am now wondering how frequently this DOES happen and what happens to those responsible? If for example what happned in the situation I wrote about, had of been caused by a state audited facility such as a private vet or just some random animal abuser wouldnt they be punished? Im thinking these things are privately swept under the rug. THE ONLY REASON I even heard about the deal where i lived was that i literally pondered upon it looking for something else...it was just a blurb.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The good news is that now that the shelter director is back, she has prohibited any volunteers from having more than one cat out of the cages at a time.

Personally, I have ALWAYS stuck to that rule, even when I knew both cats.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw gee, this is heart wrenching on so many levels. First that the wrong cat was put down, second that black cats are routinely pt down, and third that there are so many cats that have to be put down that could be prevented by spay and neuter.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess a voluteer can't be "fired", but maybe she should be banned from ever returning, regardless of why she is there. Poor Emily.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

I guess a voluteer can't be "fired", but maybe she should be banned from ever returning, regardless of why she is there. Poor Emily.
I'm not sure they're certain who did it.

But at least they're trying. So many people in the community would say, "Who cares? They're just stray cats."