Poor kitty

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We first saw this cat last Winter during an ice storm. He/she was walking along our fence line. He/she was so tiny and looked so skinny. Of course when we went outside, it ran. We don't see it very often but it seems to be surviving ok. We even once saw it with a herd of deer in our backyard like they were all friends. :lol: This is the second cat that comes by our house.

There is a black cat that has a collar that comes by daily to torment Gracie. They attack each other through the sliding glass door. We know black cat is a boy because after messing with Gracie, he walks away and sprays our terracing before heading back into the woods. Then there is this grey cat which Gracie apparently doesn't have a problem with although it might be because the grey cat stays at a distance.

When we first moved into the house 24 years ago, there were several stray around that we would feed. We even took one in and made her ours although she was still an inside/outside cat (her choice, not ours). We haven't seen any other cats around for about 20 years or so. That is why having two around lately is weird. We feel so bad for this kitty but it must be eating well enough to survive. Just breaks my heart knowing this little kitty is outside in all types of weather and stops by the house and can see Boone and Gracie inside where it is warm and safe.
grey_kitty.jpeg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, poor kitty...if you're seeing them more often, it is likely that their circumstances have changed. Common scenarios are neighborhood dynamics: caregivers become less available (divorce, illness, increased family obligations); dogs are adopted into the neighborhood; construction in formerly safe territory.
The black cat is likely bored and is making a game of fussing with Gracie. If he isn't neutered, I would TNR him anonymously - it is vet recommended and humane. He obviously isn't feeling satisfied with his current digs for providing his emotional needs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see the grey cat very often. Maybe every few months. I don't really see the black cat either but that is because he comes at night after I am asleep. My husband sleeps downstairs so him and Gracie banging against the door wakes him up sometimes. There was a trap set in the woods a few months ago. Not sure if it was the owner trying to get him back inside the house or someone trying to "dispose" of him. Or maybe it was for the grey cat. Not sure but apparently both avoided the trap. I am not getting involved with either of these two cats though whether it be to TNR them or to keep/feed them.

GatitoLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why not get involved and help TNR or at least feed them? Your post says “Poor Kitty” well maybe someone is trying to trap him for good or bad reasons. Why not at least feed him and show him some love?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not get involved and help TNR or at least feed them? Your post says “Poor Kitty” well maybe someone is trying to trap him for good or bad reasons. Why not at least feed him and show him some love?
Neighbor feeds him. He keeps to himself and has no interest in people. Will walk by (at a distance) and not even acknowledge you are talking to him.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the neighbors have had them neutered - it could be why they avoid the traps. So much suffering for outside kitties :sniffle:
I doubt it. The trap wasn't set by them. It was set by someone diagonally behind from us on the other side. That is why I thought it was the owner of the black cat trying to get him back inside. I think grey kitty lives further into the woods where there is a creek. Plenty of cover from the elements and lots of little critters to catch and eat down there. That is also why I think the deer don't mind him around. They are used to each other while in the woods.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw grey kitty trotting down the road over the weekend with something big and fat in it's mouth. Of course, when he saw me, he took off running so don't know what he/she got to eat but it had some size to it.