Poor Kitty

Samkat923

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted here a little over a month ago about my cat. I thought he was constipated at first and then found out it was a UTI. Everyone that responded was most helpful and greatly appreciated. Now I have another problem; starting around July 22, I noticed my male cat wasn't urinating as he should, the morning of the 23th he couldn't urinate at all and acted like he felt awful. Took him to the Vet, where it was determined he was blocked, they tried to insert a catheter and couldn't . The Vet performed Perineal Urethrostomy surgery, he came home the 29th with ecollar, Zeniquin, Gabapentin, Prazosin, Cerenia and Metacam. Seemed to be doing fairly well until Sunday Aug. 2nd. He was very lethargic and not eating well. I could not get him back to the Vet on Monday so I took him Tuesday morning. They called me a short time later and said the PU was healing very well but he had something going on with his skin and was running a pretty high fever, 104. (I had noticed some matted areas in his fur, but I thought that in the struggle to get his meds in him, I may have gotten some on his fur.) They shaved the areas that were affected and used hydrotherapy on them and put him on IV antibiotics. I just picked him up this morning and I was shocked at how large an area this has covered. The Vet Tech said they are baffled about what has caused this skin problem. Said it almost looked like a thermal burn. I am attaching photos of his shoulders. Has anyone every experienced this type of skin condition? Is there a possibility it could be an allergic reaction to something?
He seems to be doing well, he's eating and socializing a little. He is now on Zenequin and Simplicef and goes back for a recheck on Tuesday.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness! Bless your heart for getting him in as fast as you were able to!

I dunno what might have caused this :redheartpump:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You have certainly been there for your kitty....poor little guy. I don't know what that is and agree it looks like a burn but more than likely is not. The vet had no idea what it might be from?

All I can say to one small part of your post is that my GSD developed, years ago, a skin allergy and seemed very poorly. We went to the vet, of course, and when they brought him back out I was shocked at how much fur had been shaved and how far the allergy had gone. Watch where he was shaved as that can also be irritating if the animal has sensitive skin.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am glad he is coming along nicely after the PU surgery! But, poor baby with that injury. Is there any place in your home that he might have kind of been hiding out in after his surgery that would involve heat? It does look like a burn. Please look around your home for any possible sources so that you can take precautions to keep him away from whatever you might find.

I would have thought if it were allergy related, it would impact more areas of his body. Did you ask the vet by chance if any of the meds he was on could cause a skin issue if it did get on him and wasn't cleaned off? Is it in an area where he could have done damage to himself by over-grooming the meds from his fur/skin? Or, is it close enough to where the cone was resting that he might be allergic to the cone material?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Samkat923

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am glad he is coming along nicely after the PU surgery! But, poor baby with that injury. Is there any place in your home that he might have kind of been hiding out in after his surgery that would involve heat? It does look like a burn. Please look around your home for any possible sources so that you can take precautions to keep him away from whatever you might find.

I would have thought if it were allergy related, it would impact more areas of his body. Did you ask the vet by chance if any of the meds he was on could cause a skin issue if it did get on him and wasn't cleaned off? Is it in an area where he could have done damage to himself by over-grooming the meds from his fur/skin? Or, is it close enough to where the cone was resting that he might be allergic to the cone material?
Hi, there should be no place in my home that he could have gotten burned. I live in south Georgia so the only heat is outside. :) His favorite hiding place is under my bed. The area is behind his shoulders. He had the cone for about 4 days before I made him a donut out of fabric. It is just a little behind the donut. I can't think of anything that he could possible have gotten into in my home. I wonder if it was some sort of reaction to something used during his surgery. He may have an allergy to something he doesn't normally come in contact with. The Vet was puzzled.