Poor kitty has fleas

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has fleas. I realize that what I’ve been finding in her bed etc. is flea poop. It’s been happening for a while, but just today she started scratching and jumping like something was biting her.
I applied Frontline this morning. I know it takes 24 hours to be fully effective, but she still seems miserable. When I applied it, she was very squirrelly, so it was over to one side a bit. I’m afraid it was in a place where she could reach it while grooming. (She has been grooming almost constantly since then, and I don’t see a “grease” spot.)
If she hasn’t improved by morning, should I give her another dose? How do I know if she’s licked it? She doesn’t appear ill, just terribly uncomfortable with itchies.
Phoebe and I appreciate any advice you can give.
B1CE2CCA-BC25-486C-94D0-6D7D3BD76C76.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she hasn’t improved by morning, should I give her another dose?
No. Can you get some plain unblended chamomile tea from the store, brew it, cool it, dip a brush in it and groom her. It will help her discomfort.

In the future, try Only Natural Pet's Easy Defense flea and tick spray. I spray it into a paper towel and brush the paper towel lightly across the fur on the back of my cat's neck and shoulders, and it's quite effective.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. Can you get some plain unblended chamomile tea from the store, brew it, cool it, dip a brush in it and groom her. It will help her discomfort.

In the future, try Only Natural Pet's Easy Defense flea and tick spray. I spray it into a paper towel and brush the paper towel lightly across the fur on the back of my cat's neck and shoulders, and it's quite effective.
Thank you, I will try the tea to help her feel better. Are there restrictions on how soon I can try the spray you recommended?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the Frontline container says how long it lasts, you'll want to wait that long.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
nwengel nwengel it's likely the frontline is working.. if you cat has a lot of fleas, they become very active before they die and that's probably why she's ' very squirrelly '.
You could use a flea comb to get rid of some, dropping the comb in a bucket of soapy water between combs to remove the fleas. You need to put her on a towel to collect any eggs or fleas that drop, and then wash the towel on a very hot wash afterwards.
You are also probably going to need to deflea your house.

I would be wary of using products on your cat that contain essential oils.
I err on the side of caution as I've seen bad reactions. This vet hospital site explains it further:

......Since essential oils are not considered “drugs” and as such they are not required to do any quality control, or safety testing prior to releasing the product to the public.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

My cats have fleas again! Nightmare…but I’ve been combing them twice a day. One cat has scabs around her neck which I think could be eggs from the fleas, shes the only one who has the scabs, problem is she hides and I can’t find her. When I see her I try to comb or pick at the scabs to get them off her. She fights and runs off and hides. If I could get her I want to also give her the flea treatment, in the meantime, she’s hiding somewhere in the house and the eggs are dropping off. I have a good size house and a lot of stuff so it’s very difficult to spray and vacuum a lot. Plus we are in a extreme heat wave here…I’m not as young as I use to be so I’m dreading the thought of those little monsters being hatched everywhere. I have 12 indoor cats which doesn’t help.
Any advice how to conquer the beasts?
I looked on Chewy for Only Natural Pet’s spray but it said it’s no longer available.
Where can I buy it and does it really work?
thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
There are two articles that were posted just above which are helpful, and if you're comfortable with this products' ingredients I see that PetSmart has it along with other items to address fleas, plus you could also check Only Natural Pet online :)

I have found it to be very effective. I apply it by spraying a paper towel and lightly brushing that across Poppycat's fur on the back of his neck and shoulders.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. Phoebe is MUCH better today. It’s amazing the difference in her behavior. She was just so agitated yesterday. She has been grooming a lot, which brings me to another question…if she has ingested fleas or flea eggs can that cause worms?

I’m already starting to de-flea my home.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. Phoebe is MUCH better today. It’s amazing the difference in her behavior. She was just so agitated yesterday. She has been grooming a lot, which brings me to another question…if she has ingested fleas or flea eggs can that cause worms?

I’m already starting to de-flea my home.
That's really good nwengel nwengel . It really can be difficult when a cat has a lot of fleas as the treatment sends the fleas into a biting frenzy before they die.
Don't worry about the grooming.. there's not a problem there. :)