Poops but won't pee in the litter box

halfpass4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a bit at my wit's end with one of my cats. I have two cats who were littermates, now they are 10 years old. One of them recently has a diarrhea problem (within the last year) and is diagnosed hyperthyroid.

His brother, has never had any medical problems but has ALWAYS peed just around the boxes ALL HIS LIFE...yes, I've had 10 years of this!!! He's not avoiding because if the diarrhea, because it has always been a problem, and he recently has started peeing in my bedroom. He has ruined my baseboards around the boxes in the laundry room, and I have a new house. We've moved twice; first house was a rental and we barely got our security deposit back, second was a new house, but we were only there a few years. I really just can't deal with him peeing and ruining my house.

I have two boxes, both in the laundry room, which is small and L-shaped, so the two boxes are along one wall back to back. We're going to try to put a third box in a bathroom upstairs, but I don't want him ruining my baseboards or floor up there, either.

For years, I've been buying the puppy pads to put under/around the boxes and the corner behind one of the boxes, and just accepting the fact that he will pee on them and not the boxes. But now he's going outside of that area, and I'm wigging out! I try to put him in the box 3-4 times a day, he usually will go if I physically put him in there. He is very large, and we always get super-sized boxes. He doesn't squat much, kind of backs up to a baseboard or floor,and fully pees (he's not spraying). I'm going to try to get him into the vet next week to get him checked, but I don't think he'll find anything since this has been an issue for so long.

My house is an open floor plan, so there just aren't very many other places i can add additional boxes. I'm wondering if he doesn't like sharing a box with his brother, maybe he needs to be the only cat in a household? I really don't have a lot of time to figure this out, but are there any ideas, please?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

halfpass4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He hasn't always been large, just in the last 2-3 years has he gotten overweight. He's about 15 pounds now (top cat in my picture). Also, he's very submissive, so I'm wondering if he's just afraid to share a box with his brother (but he still poops in both boxes). With a third box, his brother will probably start to use it, too...I'm out of ideas...

robbie watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I may suggest, since you have multiple boxes, that you might use lemon juice spray on baseboards. Cat hate the smell of citrus. That may discourage him from doing that. Also you might try moving the boxes a wee bit farther apart, since the diahreaa may off put him from fear of bacteria. Hope these help!