Pooping outside the litter

kenna-99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two year old cat won’t stop pooping outside of the litter box. I got her as a kitten, and she wasn’t doing it initially, but started to within the first year and it has gradually gotten worse to the point where she uses the box rarely and usually poops on the floor. She never pees outside of the box though. She has chronic urinary tract issues, but eats specialized food and hasn't had a UTI in over a year.
I have another cat the same age and they get along well, and there are two litter boxes. The boxes are in the bathroom and she poops in lots of different places in the bathroom, but no other rooms. I’ve tried many different types of litters and different types and sizes of boxes to see if she was just picky, as well as having up to 6 litter boxes in the bathroom at one time. I wondered if it was a cleanliness issue, but even if the litter is 100% new and clean, she still poops on the floor.
I’ve tried positive and negative reinforcements. I’ve sprinkled catnip in the litter, given her treats when she does poop in the box, and punished her when she doesn’t, but it’s just gotten worse.
I’m assuming it’s a behavioral issue. My cats don’t get free range of the house when I’m gone, but the space they’re confined to is not small and is filled with comfy places and toys for them.
She’s generally a very stubborn cat. She knows the rules, but often breaks them, even right in front of me.
I feel like I’ve tried everything to fix this issue and I love her so much, but it’s exhausting to have to deal with this problem on a daily basis. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I wanted to give as much info and context as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kenna-99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haven’t tried that. Until today, I didn’t know there was litter designed to attract cats. She’s acted constipated occasionally, but the consistency of her poop varies a good bit.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try puppy pee pads to see if she will poop on those. If she does, get a cardboard box lid - or at least a low sided litter box - and place pee pads inside it to see if she would continue to use the pads. If that is successful, you can add a tiny bit of litter on top of the pad, then more, and then more, until you can finally get rid of the pads altogether. In the meantime, the pee pads will help with clean up.