Pooping outside the box

christinemoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This might not be the right forum- I don't think it's behavioral, just bad aim.

My 7 month old kitten has been pooping right outside of his box lately. He climbs in, scratches around and spins like normal, and then somehow hits either the edge of the box or outside. He has no problem with peeing, although I know the posture is different between the two and that might change it.

We have large boxes with a lip; we just never did enclosed boxes. Is there any way to make him aim a little better?

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Grayson has never managed to poop in the box and he’s 9!
Peeing he’s fine.
If he goes when I’m in I gently manoeuvre him into the correct position!
Shows how much we love our cats as can’t imagine helping anyone else aim their poop properly 😽💩😬❤

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had that problem and finally figured out it was the litter I was using, which was recommended to me by the rescue agency where she was adopted from, Pine Pellets. After I had her for around 2 months she started not covering her poop, and within a week or so she started pooping right next to the box. I switched to Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal, in one box and kept the pine pellets in the other box. Immediately the cat started using the Clump and Seal box and totally ignored the Pine Pellet Box. I then changed both boxes to Clump and Seal. In a couple of months, she has not once left her poop uncovered, or gone outside the box. :)

You might try another type litter and see if that changes anything.