Pooping Outside The Box

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ruby has IBD.
Only gets wet food. Can't have chicken at all. I put a vinyl cover on bed if I'm not in it because she was pooping on the bed. I wanted to believe it was accident/urgent because she gets the runs and it is common for her to be on the bed. I only have cleaned up the bed once since I use this cover. Two days ago the blanket on my side of the couch had poop on it so I figured it was an accident but yesterday it happened again. I think its her way of telling me something. "See dad, my poops soft". Her and I try to understand each other. If I suspect she hurts and say Tum Tum she will turn her belly too me. If she doesn't' hurt she will let me touch. If she does hurt she will tell me if I reach toward her belly. She is getting more finicky about eating sometimes and does not always take her Metronidazole. She will eat the pill pocket but leave the tablet. I'm a single cat dad and I work but I want to make things as good for her as possible and not have to look before I sit.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sweet of little Ruby to let you know her tummy is bugging her. How many litter boxes do you have for her? If she has some boxes nearby where she mostly hangs out, then she could more quickly find a box close by to use when she needs to go urgently.

Are you thinking the stool issues are associated with Ruby not always taking her Metro? If so, ask the vet about finding a compounding pharmacy to change how the meds are administered and/or flavored.

Have you also talked to the vet about adding probiotics to her regimen? I'm pretty sure I've read about this on other threads from members who have cats with IBD. Hopefully, they will see your post soon and offer some suggestions on how you might help your girl.

Or, you can do a search on 'IBD' for previous threads that you could look through for additional information.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a sweet pic of her!! She is a cutie!

Are you thinking the stool issues are associated with Ruby not always taking her Metro? If so, ask the vet about finding a compounding pharmacy to change how the meds are administered and/or flavored.
How about the issue with missed doses of Metro?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a Ruby too, who also has tummy issues, as well as a sensitivity to chicken. Over the summer she started having more soft stools and though would use the litter box for poop, was also having accidents around the house. So it was time for another food change.

She's now mostly eating a hypo-allergenic duck canned food, and some duck kibble as treats, and "knock on wood" we haven't had any accidents for a couple weeks. So maybe try changing her food to something different.

Your Ruby's a cutie pie, btw. :catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure missed dose is not helpful and should see what we can modify.

I need to look for a duck recipe. One brand I looked at showed that it also had chicken as an ingredient so I need to search more.

Your Ruby is a pretty girl.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's really hard to find cat food that has zero chicken in it. @artiemom tried tons of different foods for her rainbow bridge cat, Artie, so I'm tagging her, as she might be able to suggest some foods that might work for your girl that are available in the US.

There's also a chart in the Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients thread that lists ingredients for many different cat foods, which you might find helpful.

PassifloraFoetida

Perpetual cat bed
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can find a decent liquid treat or paté that doesn't aggravate her IBD, and your vet approves it/can help you get the metro compounded in liquid or capsule form, I've had really good luck combining liquid/powder meds with paté or liquid treat and feeding from a syringe. I took a little time to get the cats to associate the syringe with food reward, and I started with water/treat first and then transitioned to giving them their meds. I don't know if it would work for you and I'd definitely discuss it with your vet first, but it's been a lifesaver for me in the past.