Pooping Outside The Box

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat, momma cat, has been pooping and peeing outside the litter box frequently now. My sister got into a wreck last week and her stuff from the car was in the kitchen and momma cat peed in it. Then she keeps pooping infront of our fire place. My brother blocks off our den, where her food, water, and litter box is at so I’m not sure if it’s the fact the box is blocked off by the chair, my parent think it’s because I spend no time with her and it’s basically like revenge, or it’s a health problem. She’s peed outside the box 3-4 times and she’s pooped outside the box 4-5 times in the past couple months. If she doesn’t stop peeing or pooping outside the box then she has to go outside. How do I stop this?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you get her to the vet? Also pick up an enzymatic cleaner.
It could also be stress, can you obtain some calming treats from a pet store?

Can you put the litter box and her food and water somewhere that it isn't blocked off?

Maybe try a different litter, and a second box.

Does anyone spend any time with her? So, I don't think the revenge idea is true.
Can you increase play time?

Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We can’t get her to the vet because I don’t have the money to pay and my parents refuse to take them to the vet if they’re inside cats. Step mom says “I don’t see a point in taking them to the vet if they’re inside cats...how can they get sick if they stay inside?” I would put the litter box in the dining room, we never use it, but step mom is having a cow because she doesn’t want the house smelling like a cat box. And my dad probably spends the most time with her. I use to but then I had to kick her out my room because she tore up my carpet because there is 5 other kittens under the age of a year in my room. 2 that are 8 months and 3 that are 5 days old. I try to play with her but I have yet to find a toy she likes. She will play with it for maybe 5 minutes then walk away. I had some treats but they made her sick, which also ticked step mom off.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she spayed? Is the chair blocking the litterbox, can she get to it okay?
Maybe try giving her some canned food, if she doesn't get any already.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s not spayed. And my brother said it wasn’t blocking anything but I’m not sure because I have school whenever he’s in class and I can try

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the litter is clumping and you keep it deep enough, it shouldn't smell.
Are you going to get her spayed? Canned food might help with the peeing problems.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you tell her you'll clean the box frequently?

— she will say it’s a no go. She doesn’t want anyoneee knowing we have litter box so they stay in the back two bed rooms. I’ve already tried.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the litter is clumping and you keep it deep enough, it shouldn't smell.
Are you going to get her spayed? Canned food might help with the peeing problems.

—- it is clumping litter. It’s the like gallon bucket of tidy cats clumping litter. And I won’t be able to get her spayed for a very long time. Since I have to pay for it and all the ones around here cost like $100+ I can’t right now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmmm.
The only thing I can think of is to try and ensure that she has access to a litter box somehow, either an extra one in your room as the other kittens grow or by making sure she can get to the original one.
Can you do work around the house etc and make some money that way?

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents don’t think of cleaning the house as a way to make money. They look at it as you’re living here therefore it’s your job. And if I don’t I get grounded. I have one litter box in the den and 2 in my room but she refuses to go to my room because of her son.
She really doesn’t like him.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The first thing I would do is educate your stepmother on indoor cats still needing to see the vet. Indoor cats still get sick, being indoors doesn't suddenly make their bodies free from disease or injury or pain!

I'm going to be honest, the biggest solutions here that you need are easier access to the litterbox and seeing the vet to make sure it isn't related to illness. Unfortunately, if your stepmother isn't willing to budge on either of these issues I'm not sure what the next step is.

In regards to spaying, you mention you have her son, how old is he, and is he neutered?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know where you live, but here it will soon be leaf raking time, you could offer your lawn raking services to neighbors, and snow shoveling when that happens, those sorts of things, and even late season lawn mowing to people who might have regular lawn guys mow their yard but after they stop in mid October or so, often the yard grass keeps growing and needs cut. Think about things you can do. Pulling weeds for people, etc.
It might take a while, but also it's possible that of your parents see you trying so hard, that may help shift their thinking.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are many reasons why momma would be going outside of the box.

- If she can't get to the box she can't use it. Are your parents willing to talk to your brother about blocking the den door? Can the room be rearranged so the door can free?

- Stress - Your sisters accident brought strange scary smells into the house. Even if she's not interacting with they 5 day olds she knows they are there. Unneutered she has hormonal shifts that will make her more moody and nervous.

- Medical issues - If she's never seen a vet there is no way to know if she is healthy.

Tell your parents that you'd like their help and advise with solving the problem. Make a list of what you've learned on this site to discuss with them. Are there rescues/shelters in your area that offer cheaper spay services? Can you craft and sellable items? Would one of your parents be willing to assist/supervise with selling them on a local page? Do you have older family/neighbors who might have jobs for you?

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's really hard to properly care for pets when you are not living in your own house, and on top of that not making money. It all depends on your parents, who are really the ones in control of the situation.

I had a similar experience where my parents told me I could get a rabbit, and since they got my dog all her shots and were generally nice people I thought they would care and want the best for the bunny like I did. But my mom surprised me by laughing when I said it was time to take Cubby to the vet for his checkup. She was always pressuring me in later years to give him back to the shelter because she didn't like his litter box and didnt understand that you can have a relationship with a bunny. Eventually she got what she wanted because I was 15. I heard her say to a friend she thought I would have gotten tired of it in a couple years.

Point is, sometimes kids know more about properly taking care of a certain animal than the parents do. There's not anything you can do if your parents wont allow you to move her boxes or take her to the vet.

How old are you? If you are old enough, I would get a job. Or have a yardsale to raise money for the spay, maybe rent a booth at a flea market with your parent's support. Often, litter box issues like that can be a sign of a medical issue. She needs to go to the vet. Do some research and present her with why the cat needs to go to the vet. She might just ignore it, or get angry, Ive been there. But you owe it to the kittiea to try.

I think you should find homes for her son and the tiny cats, too, especially as they will also not be getting veterinary care. She very well may resume her normal habits whenm she has more room, more boxes to herself, and no 5 month old kittens at the same time your sister got in a wreck.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so totally agree with everything GreyLady GreyLady has said, especially about finding homes for the other kitties.
If you can do this, be sure and find homes for them where you can be super sure the new owners will keep them, love them, and care for them.

Not to make you feel bad about people, that's not my intent, it's just something to be aware of and careful of, but there are some who will present themselves as totally normal that look for cats being given away for free and sell them to product testing facilities.

You're smart, you'll find a way to work this out, I think. Let us know what happens, we're rooting for you!

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did get Chaos, the son, neutered back in August...he was 7 months when we got him neutered. We didn’t want him having kittens with his sister. Step mom and dad really are probably never going to get on board with taking momma cat to the vet because all the wrecks were having in the house and then the fact she’s just has her mind set that momma cat can’t possibly get sick.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An idea I got just now, your moms priorities seem to be about her house, is that going to the vet may stop kitty from pooping and peeing on her house floor.

Also, my last vet exam was 36 dollars. Its really not that expensive for a basic wellness exam. IF nothing is wrong. If it is, it is good to know and not avoid it...

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I tried talking to my step mom about moving the cat box closer to the living room and her exact words were “that litter box is not coming any closer to my living room” but good news is since my brother opened the den back up a couple days ago she hasn’t used outside the box once. Hopefully it’ll stay that way. Step mom still refuses to take her to the vet though.