Pooping outside the box

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Been quite some time since I was here.  Got busy.  I'm having a little behavior problem and want to see if anyone might have ideas.  

My oldest daughter graduated college, got a job.  For 4 months.  Sigh.  Things happened and she had to move back home.  Along with her, she brought her now 6 month old kitten into the house.  Wasn't thrilled when she got the cat- but she was making money and she paid for ALL of the cat's care.  Vet visits, her spay (which I think she paid too much for IMHO) food, litter.  We couldn't make her give it up- it is kind of cute- but is really a pain at times.  

She wants to be alpha and isn't.  My 7 year old cat put a stop to that.  She bugs the heck out of Sam- he's 3.  I think it's to the point where it's more play than her trying to be higher in the "cat hierarcy" here.  

The problem is poop.  Someone is pooping outside the box on occasion.  I think it's DD's cat- ours eat pumpkin with their wet food (Sam has anal gland issues), the poop isn't orange.  But there's a lot, and DD's cat really isn't that big.  Yet.  So IDK.  I should probably set up one of the old phones we have laying around the house to see who's doing it.  It's not happening during the day b/c I'd see it (right now I have no job)

I close our door at night.  Holly will sleep with us and occasionally Sam will.  Dd's cat sleeps with her (it's kind of helped her through this rough patch of her life :)  ) So I don't know if that's the issue. Everyone has a clean bill of health (except Sam and his anal glands- but he's ALWAYS had that problem) and we had never had a poop problem until a month and a half ago when Sabrina came to live with us.  

Today I had an idea. Maybe someone isn't pooping in their box because they don't want the other cats pooping in THEIR box.  Sigh.  I have 4 boxes scattered all over the house, I put a Feliaway diffuser in the room they all hang out with b/c sometimes there were very loud and angry arguments.  If that's it- the idea I had today is to scoop the thing out the minute I see poop in there.  Yes, I am cleaning it out on a daily basis- this particular box is in a room that I'm not fond of- but that's where the poop was showing up so I figured maybe a box needed to be in there. 

There are separate feeding stations. They do share 1 fountain, maybe we should get another cat fountain.  Don't want to add another food bowl- as it is Sam is sneaking kitten food when Sabrina is done with it- and he really doesn't need kitten food.

Tried to give her wet food (my 2 adore it) but she wants nothing to do with it.  Maybe try wet food by the same manufacturer that her dry stuff comes from?

Thanks for listening to my ramble.  This is driving me NUTS.  I have a feeling this is only going to be temporary- my daughter's looking at going to grad school (not here) and if she moves the cat will probably go with her.  

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I always like to rule out any medical issues. Often times if it is medical it is pain related. Given it is happening occasionally it is most likely behavioral however but lets keep an open mind about medical. 

Given the kitten is new to the house I think it could be territorial. She wants to let others know that this is hers as well. I would like to try a couple of things to see if it helps. I really would like to step up play starting with where she is going and then expanding to other areas of the house. After play feed either treats or a meal. I would like to add some scratching posts and cat trees so the kitten can go high and also get her scent on things to own the posts and trees. Also add some comfy beds around so they have plenty of warm and comfy places to own and feel comfortable. Finally try to be as calm and confident around the kitten as possible and try to let the kitten know she is loved and wanted. Getting her to purr without putting yourself at risk of being injured is helpful. Also try to get everyone to feed her whatever she likes and try to feed them all together if possible.

I am guessing she is feeling a little territorially insecure and feels the need to have her scent in places. I would also add more litter boxes if possible especially in out of the way places just in case someone is intimidating another cat when they are using the litter box.

Did you do a formal introduction process with the cats or did they just get together?

Is she getting along with the other cats? It sounds like is fine with her but Holly may be an issue. Try to get Holly and the kitten to have positive association using food especially.

Let's see how this works and we can figure it out as we go. I am happy to help as long as needed. Any information you can provide leading up to any incidents could be helpful. Please feel free to ask anything anytime, happy to try to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know we kind of dropped the ball with introductions.  The animals were kind of just put together.  Didn't really have a choice, a week later we had to go visit family for Christmas (nobody wanted to go- and it was the WORST Christmas we've ever had :( ).  We got someone to come stay with the animals- but I'm sure all this kid did was put food in their bowls and scoop out boxes.  

She went back with my daughter for a few days, then came home for good the beginning of Jan.  And they were just put together then too.  An idea I had if this continues (there was no poop outside the box today) was to take Sabrina and just put in her a room by herself for a few days.  Then bring her out again.  

She plays with Sam.  They chase each other around and I don't think it's aggresson, I've seen them take turns chasing. Husband said he saw Sam and Sabrina grooming each other.  And they've slept together on the couch.  She does not like Holly, and Holly does not like her.  Not as much hissing between the 2 of them as there was, and I did see Holly and Sabrina touch noses a few days ago. We've given them all treats before together, maybe that on a daily basis might not be a bad idea.  

We had a tree that was in an out of the way place.  I had moved it there b/c our 2 weren't using it anymore.  The last time I cleaned, about 2 weeks ago, I moved it back to where it was originally.  Now it's in front of a window in the back, and they have full view of "cat TV".  I feed the birds outside, the window faces a feeder.  Sabrina will lay on the cat tree and watch the birds.  I felt bad b/c my daughter had bought her this bed that attached to the windowsill, we tried it in our house and it wouldn't fit our window :(  So I guess the tree is just as good. 

Thanks for your response.  My daughter adores this little kitty, she's been quite the emotional support for her over the last few very stressful months.  My husband and I are beginning to be fond of this little kitty.  

Oh, she's a black cat too, just like Holly.  We call them "Mini Panther" and "Micro Panther" 

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome, I am happy to help.

I have two black cats as well. One inside and one in my feral colony outside. I am partial to black cats.  :)

It is GREAT that she gets along with Sam. That bond is important. It also makes it a bit tricky to take Sabrina and put her in a room. Cats do not like to have territory taken away and combined with losing a buddy it can be difficult.

It is also great that Sabrina is up on the cat tree looking out at the birds. That will help her a lot. Going up in the world builds confidence.

So I would really try to work on building Sabrina's confidence through play etc as mentioned in the prior post. And to slowly try to associate the scent of Sabrina and Holly with good things. You can start by using an old shirt and get the other cat's scent on it and then have it near the other cat when the other cat is eating etc. Anything to associate the other cat's scent with something good and non-threatening.

The more I hear the more I think it is just a bit of territorial insecurity. It could also be somewhat stress driven. If your daughter is stressed the cat could be picking up on it and feeling insecure. I would really try to step up play and spoil her, make her feel really wanted. Hopefulyl she will help reduce your daughter's stress as well. It could be helpful to both of them.

I think we have a good plan. There are positive with Sam we can build off and I hope that we see some positive progress soon. I think we should. 

Please let me know how things are going and please ask anything anytime. I am happy to try to help improve this situation.

moonstr80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I swear Jackson Galaxy did an episode on this situation. I wonder theologically that Sam could be bullying and intimidating this new cat. Or perhaps she is still fidgety maybe doesn't know where to go, how far distance are these litter boxes. Now you also mention you weren't exactly thrilled about the new kitten. Cats pick up on this animosity toward them, so maybe could be as to why the kitten is misbehaving. Could be number of things.

Here's the episode I'm talking about. Somewhat similar

Last edited by a moderator: