Pooping Outside Litterbox

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I've been with my for almost a year now and she has been neutered however, recently I started noticing random pieces of poo outside her litterbox. Is there any reason this may happen and any way to prevent it thanks.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a good chance, if it is just a random piece here and there, that it is getting stuck to her behind and remains there when she leaves the box. This could happen for many reasons... overweight, long hair, softer stool, hard dry stool stuck in hair that she couldn't pass... pay attention if you are around as she leaves the litterbox. Perhaps she needs something to change the consistancy of the stool, or a trim of the fur around her butt. Or maybe she needs some hairball gel to control all the hair she ingests.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Has your cat been in to see a vet lately?

Has there been change in the household? It doesn't matter what, sometimes even just a new piece of furniture will throw off a cats' inner peace and territorial balance/sense of place.

After the vet, can you try a new different style litter box in a different location, and also there are litters that have cat attract scents in them.

And take a look into calming products, if it isn't health related it might be there's an animal outside bothering your cat, even if you don't see it.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Jen pinpointed the most common issue re: random pieces. You might also have the litter a bit high for the sides of the pan, or a cat that just like to kick a lot. Some cats don't like a hooded box, but if your cat doesn't mind a hood, they cut down on mess. Sometimes cleaning the box more often and/or adding another decreases the vigor of kicking as well. Other common things you would mostly see evidence of like loose stools or the dreaded "scooting".

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happens to my cat when she's constipated. Solutions have been to increase canned food and use hairball treats or gel 2 or 3 times a week.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the litter box right up against the wall? Try to give the box 6 inches or so all around.

My guys will occasionally be in the box and hang their butts over the edge and poop outside the box. Moving the boxes away from the wall helps cut down this problem.