Pooping Every 2 Days

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For over a month now, Smo has been pooping about every two days. Every once in a while she'll go every day, but usually it's more like once every 35 to 45 hours. She used to be more regular and poop once a day, but her schedule adjusted once she got tapeworm. She's been dewormed successfully but her bowel movements still haven't gone back to normal.

I feed her around 4 oz of wet food a day, often mixed with a couple tablespoons of water. She's also good about drinking so I don't think her hydration levels are off. I give her hairball treats with psyllium husk after playing, but am careful not to give her too many. Back when she was pooping daily she ate only kibble, so I can't figure out why her bowel movements are so sluggish when she's more hydrated than she's ever been.

I've tried pumpkin, but for some reason this seemed to constipate her more - maybe too much fiber? She would take 48 hours to poop with pumpkin and her stools were dry and hard. I've also tried food containing oil but she hates the texture and won't eat much of it.

For what it's worth, her poops are pretty big (2 days' worth for sure) and mostly a good consistency (softer, longer stools mixed in with a couple smaller, harder ones). I'm concerned though that she's not going often enough. The only thing I can think of that might be causing this is that she grazes frequently on kibble, more than she before. She was outdoors for two months and basically starved (I could feel her ribs and spine when I got her back), so I feel terrible taking away her kibble altogether.

Does anyone else have a cat that isn't raw fed that poops as often as mine does? Is it bad for their health?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy sometimes poop once in 2 days, sometimes once in 3 days, sometimes once every other day and sometimes twice in a day. He's not raw fed.

As long as she's not constipated, no blood, no worms, no super hard poo that moves out real slow that does not drop-off and no straining, looks like your kitty's normal.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am guessing that the however-minor changes you've made to her diet probably has created the change. How old is she? If she is young, could be just part of her habits changing with maturing.

Just keep an eye on her and if nothing else changes that might demonstrate the onset of an illness, consider this her new norm!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sombra has always pooped every two days but she wees substantially every day. As long as your kitten doesn't poop with difficulty I don't think you need to worry smosmosmo.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ailish rarely, if ever, poops every day. She gets three wet meals and 1 small dry a day. When I got her she was on dry and pooped one large stinky poop a day that could clear the room. The change was immediate when she went on decent wet food. Whatever schedule the cat is on, if it is doing well, it's probably normal for that cat. My experience, anyway.