Pooping anywhere in the house

S@mmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 14 yo female has suddenly started pooping all over the house.
She uses the litter box exclusively to urinate. I've check everywhere and she has not once urinated anywhere except in the litter box, but has not used it to poop for over a week!
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You might get a black light to double-check for urine.

Have there been any changes in your living space--even little things? Construction outside?

Have you taken her into the vet?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is her poop soft, hard, or normal? Sometimes, a cat will avoid the litter box when it hurts to go, as they correlate the pain with the box.

She is also older, and could be experiencing some pain from arthritis that is more connected to how she positions herself to poop as opposed to how she pees - also causing litter box avoidance.

Is her eating/drinking/etc. otherwise normal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

S@mmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! You might get a black light to double-check for urine.

Have there been any changes in your living space--even little things? Construction outside?

Have you taken her into the vet?
Thank you. We have all wood floors and I checked everywhere. No other changes in the environment.
Have not taken her to the vet yet, but will if it continues.

S@mmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Is her poop soft, hard, or normal? Sometimes, a cat will avoid the litter box when it hurts to go, as they correlate the pain with the box.

She is also older, and could be experiencing some pain from arthritis that is more connected to how she positions herself to poop as opposed to how she pees - also causing litter box avoidance.

Is her eating/drinking/etc. otherwise normal?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A black light will highlight urine that you can't see with your eye otherwise. I've read that sometimes inappropriate pooping can actually be an indication of other issues, so you may not want to wait too long.

S@mmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shortly after I posted this morning she pooped where I could see her. She didn't cry or look uncomfortable but the stool was VERY hard. Perhaps a laxative is in order?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try Miralax, perhaps 1/8 tsp for the next couple of days. You can check with your vet for concurrence on using it and the dosage, just to be on the safe side.

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are not alone! We have been dealing with a variety of health issues in our old man, so cleaning the floors has become a certainty instead of a guess.

He is on miralax long term; no side effects so far.

Good luck with your kitty and fingers crossed there is nothing serious causing thsi change!!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Psyllium is an easy natural fiber you can add to wet food to help with constipation as well. It might take a bit longer to see results, but it might be safer to use for the longer term if necessary. I found some at the Winco bulk seasonings counter, so you should be able to find it pretty easily (maybe Sprouts or other health grocery?).

S@mmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. The behavior stopped as quickly as it started. She's using the litter box exclusively! Hope this was a one time oops.

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 14 yo female has suddenly started pooping all over the house.
She uses the litter box exclusively to urinate. I've check everywhere and she has not once urinated anywhere except in the litter box, but has not used it to poop for over a week!
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

i am facing almost the same problem with my female 12 year old kitty. although i clean the 2 litter boxes meticulously -- again, this morning (and the day before), she left her 'tootsie roll' outside the box. Note: i cleaned both boxes the night before. i clean the boxes once or twice a day. the recent Vet visit was because she is now 'wobbly' & fell into the stairwell. tests said she lacked potassium. perhaps - does anyone know? - these events are to be expected in senior kitties??